1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Permissions and Defaults

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Jim Lunsford, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Jim Lunsford

Jim Lunsford Lurker
    None

Nov 28, 2015
    Male
    Internet Entrepreneur
    Columbus, IN
    When Marshmallow came out for the S5 I upgraded. When I did every time I restarted my phone things like permissions for apps in the accessibility settings and apps I've set as defaults in the settings would be forgotten. A few days ago I did a factory reset on the phone and upgraded to Marshmallow again and the problem still persists. I think that rules out a particular app doing this. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix?

Advertisement

2. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    Samsung broke the defaults about a year ago (fixed it for the S7),it's a Sammy issue,not a Marshmallow or Google issue.
    Try using the app Better Open With,or a similar app,from the Google Play Store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aboutmycode.betteropenwith&hl=en

As for permissions,that's one of the nice things about Marshmallow,you can fine-tune permissions on a per-app basis:
    Go to Settings > Applications > Application Manager.
    If need be,tap on the menu icon in the upper L/H Corner to show all apps,user & system.
    Then one-by-one,take a look at the permissions & fine tune to your preference,or,until you break functionality.
    I believe you can also access permissions (somewhere within the settings) & grant/deny on a permission basis & you'll be presented with which apps have that particular permission.

Either way,it accomplishes the exact same objective.

Also,if you do a total factory reset without restoring any sort of data backup whatsoever,you'll be prompted to grant/deny permissions for each app as you use them for the 1st time after the reset.Afterward, the permissions remain stable until you decide to change 'em.

3. Jim Lunsford

Jim Lunsford Lurker
    None

Nov 28, 2015
    Male
    Internet Entrepreneur
    Columbus, IN
    I was asked after reinstall and I did set them however after restarted the phone the accessibility permission get undone. I can set them again and after restart it will undo them again. The accessibility permissions cannot be set in the app manager. Screenshot_2016-07-16-20-15-26.png

4. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    Get rid of the CM apps, all of them.
    If you cannot disable or uninstall, use Package Disabler Pro from the Google Play Store to disable, DO NOT DELETE, just disable, any garbage from Cheetah Mobile.
    If the Clean Master/Cheetah Mobile apps are user installed, delete them yesterday......

Barring that, there's no logical explanation for your Accessibility selections to undo themselves......

Mikestony likes this.
  5. Jim Lunsford

Jim Lunsford Lurker
    None

Nov 28, 2015
    Male
    Internet Entrepreneur
    Columbus, IN
    I uninstalled all CM products but still no change in the accessibility permission issue. It did however correct a notification access issue. Wish I could figure it out because I have to change the battery out two times a day on this thing and it's annoying to have to manually enable these things every time.

So do you have a recommendation on a cleaning app and an antivirus app instead of using cm products?

6. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    You don't need an anti-virus app & while I recommend SD Maid (Pro),cleaning apps really aren't necessary either.
    I suspect you're still using one or the other (or both),this unheard of pecularity with your Accessibility settings not holding is a sign of another user-installed app interfering with your settings.

Run your phone in Safe Mode & one by one enable your user-installed apps:
    It's a full-proof method of finding the culprit.

Outside of this,I have no more recommendations.
    Your phone will not behave as described unless you've downloaded something from an unknown source that contains malware,or,are still using the Snake Oil apps (Cleaners/Boosters/Anti-virus)......................

7. eshieldsvx4

eshieldsvx4 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2014
    Male
    You should not enable notification access and accessibility for the same app.