1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Permissions unchangeable

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 2tryagain, Jul 21, 2021 at 3:38 PM.

1. 2tryagain

2tryagain Lurker

On my samsung A50 the permissions for telephone cannot be changed for AR emoji, my files and camera. All these apps are samsungs and do not describe what the telephone permission is used for. If I look at the telephone permission on the camera version 11.0.11.22 it states the device requires these permission to operate which is false. No phone requires a camera to operate.
    upload_2021-7-21_15-30-48.png

upload_2021-7-21_15-37-4.png

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

So use a different camera app.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.simplemobiletools.camera/

Also, there is the option down at rhe bottom of the pic you posted to see all apps that have that permission.

Be sure to tap that, and then on the next screen tap the overflow icon (usually a 3 dot icon) and select 'show system'.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Well video calling has become very popular these days. Used to be something of a rarity when desktop PCs prevailed, than grew as laptops with webcams came about, now with smartphones being such a common thing a lot of phone apps now involve imagery with the audio.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. 2tryagain

2tryagain Lurker

You did not read the post properly. there is more than one app that requires telephone permissions and the camera never requires telephone permissions to operate.

5. 2tryagain

2tryagain Lurker

Does anyone else have these permissions on ther A50?

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There was another thread about the camera app having an "enforced" telephone recently for a different Samsung model, so I think it's probably a standard Samsung thing now (it's not an Android thing, since we have 2 phones in my house running Android 11, one of them on the July 2021 update, and neither has a camera app that can even be granted phone permission. Whatever this is, it's Samsung).

The reason isn't clear: phone having camera permission makes sense for video calling, but camera having phone permission doesn't add up unless you can initiate a call from the camera app. It will need microphone permission in order to record video, but that's a separate permission (to the extent that my Phone app has separate "phone" and "microphone" permissions). But if there is a reason for it I really doubt they'll tell you. Sadly there is plenty of precedent for manufacturers granting their own apps unnecessary and, in some cases, non-deniable permissions (Google as well as OEMs being guilty). Whether this particular permission is due to some feature nobody has been able to work out, simple incompetence on Samsung's part, or some internal policy of granting themselves extra permissions routinely so that people get used to them and don't question it any more, I have no idea.

(Incidentally I don't know anyone who makes video calls using the phone app: people who make video calls are in my experience are invariably using a messaging app to make those calls rather than the phone app (or, if they are older, Skype ;)). In fact I'm not even sure which if any UK networks even support cellular video calling: it was heavily advertised by one carrier many years ago, I think as part of their 3G rollout, but was expensive and never caught on, and I know that my own provider doesn't even offer it.)

ocnbrze and puppykickr like this.
  7. 2tryagain

2tryagain Lurker

No. You are incorrect the Camera never needs telephone permissions this is proven by downloading another Camera app. Also I have asked Samsung what is the usage of this permission and they did not answer. Samsungs camera app actual uses my mobile data, this has nothing to do with video calling those are separate apps.

8. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Er, I said that the camera doesn't need telephone permission. I said that the cameras on my phones don't even ask for it (which means they cannot be granted it). However your shot shows that the Samsung camera on your device does require this, and I noted that we'd seen this on a different Samsung device recently.

It's unfortunate that Android doesn't allow you to turn off internet access for apps (you can use a firewall, but the best one require root - non-root ones route all of your data via a VPN in order to filter connections).

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. 2tryagain

2tryagain Lurker

well this is a big security problem because I have recorded mobile data usage and noone including Samsung members support can tell me what it is used for.

Samsung Galaxy A50s Forum

The Samsung Galaxy A50s release date was September 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 48MP camera, 4/6GB RAM, Exynos 9611 processor, and 4000mAh battery.

September 2019
Release Date
Reviews