1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Persistant root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kam187, Nov 29, 2009.

1. armalite_ar50

armalite_ar50 Newbie

Let me see YOU bricked your fone and returned it?
    Remind me to never sell you anything.
    I would suggest you go get a copy of linux and a linux bible and spend some quality time with that before you get into rooting another fone.

Go get a linux magazine with a live copy of linux and DON'T install it. run it live it's a little slower but no system changes to your PC. less chance of you blasting your PC to infinity and beyond.
    Learn the basics 1st like what chmod, vi, cat, ypcat, and man are.
    USE the CLI since all you're going to have access to in adb is CLI. in linux syntax is everything. one wrong switch and your re-installing the OS. as you found out the hard way.

Please don't take this as a flame. This is meant to get you started in the right direction. That way once you get root you can acually do something constructive with it.
    trust me you'll be alot more happy when you not only root your fone but acually understand what you are looking @.

later
    Rich
    on a side note.....
    anyone wanna drop a ascii fork bomb on the behold II? I'm wondering what the repercussions would be??? think it would brick it or just make you reboot?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bigch0ps

bigch0ps Newbie

Of course I returned the phone. It was still in the 14 day period. Any way I still dont see what I did wrong. I followed all the commands and everything to a T. Does anyone have an idea? Sorry Im not an expert.

3. Ohgami

Ohgami Well-Known Member

BTW I accidentally had the same problem as Bigch0ps (not from rooting) but I did the recovery mode that was mentioned earlier and it works fine (didn't fix the battery problem though)

4. erasethemix22

erasethemix22 Lurker

Im trying to root the phone but when i go to cmd the phone SN wont come up any ideas? thanks in advance.

Update
    I figured it out, you have to make sure you set mass storage mode off and usb debugging on, on the phone. Thank you guys the root works perfect im going to try messing with the hero rom. I will let you guys know if it works.

5. armalite_ar50

armalite_ar50 Newbie

See this thread for the proper USB drivers. I'm currently moving upto ubunto 9.10 and am seriously thinking about making the move back to slackware. ( it is the oldest/most reliably linux on the planet) just not the friendliest....

my next fone just may well be the SDK dev. 399.99 fone. why? Well I don't want to do anything with this fone except exploit it.

Oh I did try the ascii fork bomb both $ and #
    ABSOLUTLY no effect to the fone, PC, or ADB shell. I found that rather interesting. since I use the fork bomb for a few things on other *nix systems. Seems they closed that somehow. maybe just a "kill -9" to that command. Means there won't be a buffer over flow from it (least not a standard ascii bomb) . I also found it interesting how bare bones the OS is. no vi or any other text editer. everything needs forced, pushed, or modified. after written.

A few more options might be back tracker or knoppix STD for this fone.

I'm happy with what I have, as I have root. and it allows me to do what I want/need..

thank you all for not being sheeple and being creative!! saved me weeks if not months.

later
    Rich

6. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

Install busybox for other commands

7. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

argh :(

That will only temporarily root your phone. It wont be rooted when you reboot. Also the flashing of a custom recovery doesnt work.

That's the whole reason for this thread.. to present a way to root that survives after a reboot.

8. derrickps3

derrickps3 Android Enthusiast

should i just wait for 2.0?

9. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

You only need to root IF you need to use an app that needs root. There arent that many. Market enabler is probably the most essential one for people who dont have the full market.

Otherwise its pretty pointless running this procedure to root right now.

10. egosgame

egosgame Lurker

Don't tether apps require root?

11. homotechual

homotechual Newbie

alright well no luck in my post, maybe I'll post here:

So i'm trying to root my Behold 2, been following the instructions on THE UNLOCKER, and want to connect it to ADB. I have the Android SDK on my C drive, and where I get stuck is when I put in the code to find the serial it gives me "LIST OF DEVICES:" and the serial is never there.

I have downloaded the Behold 2 drivers, and it installs every one except the Samsung ADB Interface which it fails on. I use the USBDEVIEW software to uninstall and try again but everytime it's the same failure, and yes the phone is set to USB debugged, and Samsung Studio.

I'm running Windows Premium 64bit, I don't know if running a 64 bit system has anything to do with this. Any help would be great! I thought I was a tech junkie until I ran into thisSo i'm trying to root my Behold 2, been following the instructions on THE UNLOCKER, and want to connect it to ADB. I have the Android SDK on my C drive, and where I get stuck is when I put in the code to find the serial it gives me "LIST OF DEVICES:" and the serial is never there.

I have downloaded the Behold 2 drivers, and it installs every one except the Samsung ADB Interface which it fails on. I use the USBDEVIEW software to uninstall and try again but everytime it's the same failure, and yes the phone is set to USB debugged, and Samsung Studio.

I'm running Windows Premium 64bit, I don't know if running a 64 bit system has anything to do with this. Any help would be great! I thought I was a tech junkie until I ran into this

12. erasethemix22

erasethemix22 Lurker

Same thing happened to me. You have to go into your phone and turn off the mass storage device, Once you do that it will load the adb driver by itself. go to cmd and it will show up. Let me know if you need anything else. I would suggest to wait on rooting the phone unit its 100%. Reason being is i rooted the phone and it worked but then a bunch of apps started crashing so i did a factory reset with unrooted the phone but it wasnt the same, i got saved because i was still within my 14 so i exchange it for a new one. Ive been reading that 2.1 will be released OTA this month.

13. armalite_ar50

armalite_ar50 Newbie

I've experienced no problems with my fone since I went mid-root-val on it's buttocks!!!
    accept the cpu is now a little over 200 bogoMIPS faster.
    I might try ahome or panda now since I have the proccesor power to keep it from laging (it is just a overlay) so your running two skins not replacing one with the other.

I also expect the 1st OTA to kill the two root hacks that are out there and fix a bunch of stuff WE don't even know can be exploited.

Think about it! the behold 2 wasn't out 2 weeks and has temp and persistant root.
    DROID, HTC HERO?......? NADA NOTHING!. One reason I went with the behold on the 18th. I know sumsung is lax. But they are also not fools.

later
    rich

14. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

The CPU auto speeds to save power. You'll see it at 528Mhz sometimes and 300 odd othertimes. There's some apps in market to control the CPU in other ways if you prefer.

Rooting won't increase the cpu speed or change its scheduling :)

DROID still isnt hacked, but thats because its running the latest live android OS so we cant use bugs already discovered in older kernels.

The hero (and most HTC devices) can be rooted by bypassing security using a gold card (an sdcard wit a specially generated key on it).

The behold was rooted with the same exploit that was used on other 1.5 systems from quite some time ago. The persistant root uses that same exploit, but just some trickery to make it run on every boot.

15. march7th

march7th Newbie

installing a home replacement app causes a boot loop after rooting

16. homotechual

homotechual Newbie

So rooting the Behold 2 won't make it faster? because texting does not keep up with me on the Behold 2, and I was hoping rooting it would fix the issue.

Also to use the persisant root don't we need to connect the phone to ADB? A

17. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

root is a linux term, its elevated access and makes you "almost" system admin
    it doesn not speed things up, it allows you do do stuff with your phone that needs that level of access.

you do need ADB to function in order to do this, i read your other post. are you using windows 7 x64 as that could cause you issues?

18. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

In the simplest terms its like having 'administrator' access on your windows computer. You can install anything, remove anything and break anything you like. But you can't install roms or programs from other phones, just like you cant install symbian on your PC!

19. emeryfan1988

emeryfan1988 Lurker

KAM187 great to hear that we have found a way to get persistent root! if you need any help let me know! i dont get my phone for another week and a half, but my goal is to figure out how to get sense UI on the behold 2. I mean with 320 mbs of ram, it should run quite well without a swap partition.looking forward to whats to come!

20. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

Its not easy, but possible i think. I ditched my idea to get a behold 2, so i'm not sure if i'll spend any time on it :(

21. homotechual

homotechual Newbie

Vista 64 Bit..

22. derrickps3

derrickps3 Android Enthusiast

so how is it going for all those who rooted it?

23. fallenturtle

fallenturtle Well-Known Member

Is rooting the only solution for deleting some of the apps the Behold II came with? TeleNav specifically.

24. march7th

march7th Newbie

the only problem I have w/ persistent root is if you install a home alternative home app it boot loops. probably will undo persistent root if i can find how to and just run everytime I need it.

Samsung Behold 2 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews