1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Persistant root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kam187, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Jonnyflash

Jonnyflash Newbie

This is a known issue with many applications for Android. The best way to fix it is to install busybox (instructions and download here): Busybox for android then the fix_Permissions script (download here): http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/fix_permissions.sh

Pretty much anytime you install a program, just to be safe, run Terminal and enter the command fix_permissions. It seems to correct a lot of problems. Hope this helps.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mygti02

mygti02 Newbie

your phone wasnt bricked....if you would have doen a factory reset, then after the reboot you would have been back to normal.

to everyone, if you dont know what your doing or dont know what it means to root then do not do this.

bought my wife this phone a few weeks ago.....trying to win one for myself, its pretty decent :)

3. bigch0ps

bigch0ps Newbie

to mygti02.. I did do a factory reset and I did the hard reset as well. Sorry I am not a know it all. After all isnt that what this forum is about? To learn and exchange info?

4. I am a programmer with experience with Linux and Java, but I am new to the android community as this is my first phone. Let me know if I can help in any way.

5. ggrant3876

ggrant3876 Newbie

I have 2 rooted G1's and won a Behold II, should be here in about 10 days. Is there a recovery image that works on it yet? Is permanent root and custom roms an option yet? I am a mod on Android Community and we don't have nearly as much information on the Behod II as you do here. Thanks in advance for your indulgence.

6. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

The behold runs a check on boot an removes suid shells in /bin (and probably other directories. We need to hijack a suid task that runs really early on to get persistant root (see first post).

The behold also uses some secure partitions and so you cant simply use fastboot or odin to flash a custom recovery. Its also not security ulocked :(

The only way to put a custom rom on it would be to get the hijacked persisitant root command to kill system processes, untar onto /system what you need and then retart the processes.

Everyone be warned.. a 'hard reset' or 'factory restore' ONLY wipes /data and cache. That means any changes you make to /system will remain after a factory reset, except any that get undone on boot (like the su). On the upside it means you could probably untar a modified system onto /system and most of it would remain. On the down side if you mess up your /system you're phone is essentially bricked untill we get at least one update from samsung.

7. ggrant3876

ggrant3876 Newbie

Thank you for myour response, I think I'll sell it and get the Nexus One on the 5th of January. It won't be long until it gets rooted. I've already looked at the system dump and seen the boot screen. Thanks again.

8. rone

rone Newbie

This does not work for me. I gain the initial root and setup everything but the root does not stick. After a reboot su in the adb shell brings me back to $ not #.

No error messages or anything else I can see.

Below is my playlogo

$ cat /system/bin/playlogo
    cat /system/bin/playlogo
    #!/system/bin/sh
    /data/local/try3 /system/bin/sh
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/st9 /system
    cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su
    chmod 04755 /system/bin/su
    /system/bin/playlogo_real

9. arashed31

arashed31 Newbie

How do you tell the phone is rooted?

10. rone

rone Newbie

After a reboot su in the adb shell brings me back to $ not # as I expecting.

11. several

several Member

So, after rooting, is there yet any way to get donut/1.6 on the behold ii/galaxy?

Bought it for my wife. really displeased that it is still on cupcake. samsung is seriously slacking.

12. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

13. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

Well with the help of MobileBand's device we just managed to install a galaxy ik5 image on the behold yay!

14. jazzedmurf

jazzedmurf Member

What does this mean?!

15. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

and its FASSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

It means you can ditch the stupid touchwiz, and use stock android.

It also means custom roms :)

16. jazzedmurf

jazzedmurf Member

HOW HOW HOW HOW HOW?!?! I'm so excited, holy crap.

17. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

It has 115mb free ram lol. No wonder its shit fast. So jealous!

Will post a tutorial soon. Or join us on freenode #i7500

18. jazzedmurf

jazzedmurf Member

Is this running 1.5? Wow, this is so fantastic! I have been waiting since before the phone even came out to hear this news!! BTW, I am definitely donating to the 2.x cause.

Thank you all so much for your diligent efforts!

Murf

19. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

Yeah 1.5. The good news is you should be able to run the 2.x mustmod rom too :)

Lots of testing going on right now :D

20. jazzedmurf

jazzedmurf Member

Where is the freenode thread? Do you have a link?

Murf

21. kam187

kam187 Android Expert

Its irc. you need a irc client.

Or you can click 'live chat' in the forum menu at the top. Then once logged in type

/j #i7500

and you'll be in our channel

22. psychoace

psychoace Well-Known Member

I always seem to have about 115mb of ram free when I first boot and close anything unnecessary with a task killer (like myfave which takes up like 10mb and is a service I don't have). If it stays like that after an hour though big props and I can't wait for this.

23. Mastermind278

Mastermind278 Android Enthusiast

Will continue to follow the thread. As always willing to help out in the Dev any way possible.

24. yatimameiji

yatimameiji Android Enthusiast

Count me more interested when there is a way to go back or restore the original image. Other then that i continue to wait for the update. Its kinda like Christmas with a mix of eagerness knowing its coming and angst not knowing how long.

25. dan0zone

dan0zone Well-Known Member

Wow , just , wow , this is great . This means that we can install vanilla 2.x when its released , because we kno that we getting 2.x but with TW , Kam I'm still interested in how they are re_signing the galaxy files , after they are re_packaged . Is It done using some kind of test_keys for the custom roms ?

Samsung Behold 2 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews