• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Persistent defaulting of apps

Fishyweb

Android Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2010
Is there some way of making my selected default apps persistent?

E.g. The first time I click a URL in a gmail each day, it asks me to confirm whether I want to use Browser of Dolphin to complete the action, even providing a checkbox to make my selection teh default - but I get asked the same thing every day, probably after each reboot, in fact!

The same happens in other contexts as well.

How can I make these default app associations persist from one day to the next?

This behaviour existed when I was on my stock Sense ROM, and also now that I am using CM7. So I have effectively wiped and flashed, and neither have had any effect on this behaviour.

I just noticed that if I go into Home | Settings | Applications | Manager Applications, and then select Dolphin Mini for example, there is a button saying Clear Defaults, with a legend "No defaults set". If I then tap a URL in Gmail and select Dolphin Mini as the default app, and then go back to the Settings, that button is no longer greyed out, and has a legend saying that I have selected that app as the default for some actions. If I now reboot my phone and then go back to settings, that button is greyed out again.

So, rebooting my phone is causing these defaults to be cleared, and has done with two different ROMs (stock and custom).
Any ideas, anyone?
Is there some obscure system setting somewhere that causes this behaviour?
Does it happen for anyone else?

Upvote 0
Yes, I restored data after the wipe. Doh, that rather makes the wipe I did inapplicable here.:(

Never mind, I uninstalled Dolphin Mini, and installed Dolphin HD (now that I have loads of memory from having rooted:)), and DHD now perists as my default app when clicking from Gmail.

Upvote 0
Never mind, I uninstalled Dolphin Mini, and installed Dolphin HD (now that I have loads of memory from having rooted:)), and DHD now perists as my default app when clicking from Gmail.
That success was shortlived. Back to usual now, and my defaults are being cleared on each and every reboot. I suspect that the success I noted above was spurious, resulting in some way from the installation of the new app.

SUroot - you implied earlier that a wipe should help. What exactly would you suggest that I wipe? And will I need to then rebuild all of my data manually? If so, is there any less painful way of persisting these defaults?

UPDATE - I just found another thread that has led me to the answer - namely that the defaults are only remembered if the app is stored on the phone, and not on the SD card. Grrr! I've done a test, and this appears to be the case.

I'm sure I had defaults working OK on my stock Froyo ROM with apps on the SD card. I wonder if this is something that has changed with Gingerbread and/or Cyanogen. Anyone any thoughts or knowledge about this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones