• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Personal & Business Contacts

nelly

Lurker
Sep 25, 2009
Hello,
Just got my new Hero yesterday and loving it so far. I was a Palm user previously. One excellent feature of Palm was the ability to separate contacts into different lists.

I want to have a list of personal and Business contacts. I know you can create groups, but this will contact all people in that list at the same time. I want to use this like, 9-5 (working hours) as business and all others times for contacting personal people. I would much rather keep these separate rather than having one huge list of business and personal contacts.

I have downloaded, aContacts, Phonebook, ContactGroupU and obviously the people one built into it from first build.

Any ideas?

Cheers Nelly

I feel your pain, I so do. :( Categories of the Palm, let me count the ways...

I don't know what you mean by "this will contact all people in that list at the same time" ... is that in your Messaging app? I have a Galaxy, so if the Hero is different ... just disregard everything below.

Anyway, there are groups in your contacts list, sort of. I suppose you have created groups in GMail and sorted your contacts into them? There's no way to set or change these group affiliations from within Android.
smiley_emoticons_doh.gif

On the phone, you start up Contacts (ie. third tab in Phone app) and hit Menu, then "Display Group", then choose a group (or "All Contacts"), and finally hit "OK". You'll see only the contacts from that group. Not exactly elegant, but the best that can be managed at this point.

Oh! And WELCOME to the forum! May you find enlightenment and friendship.
smiley_emoticons_doh.gif

Upvote 0
Yes I know you can create groups in gmail. But I tend to just keep my contacts on my phone and sync with Outlook (unfortunately)

If I do categorise my contacts they are all still visible in the long list when opening my phonebook app. I want to be able to say show only family for the week end and business mon - fri

Upvote 0
See my post above:
On the phone, you start up Contacts (ie. third tab in Phone app) and hit Menu, then "Display Group", then choose a group (or "All Contacts"), and finally hit "OK". You'll see only the contacts from that group.
Holler if you have problems getting there ... your phone is different than mine, but that's how it works on a Galaxy.

Upvote 0
The closest app I have found to a Palm contact is AContact. It is a very good start. You could do a universal search (through the Contact List only) which will dig into the notes also.
As far as having the groups list right under your finger tip, I do not think there is anything out there yet.

Upvote 0
The closest thing I have found is ePhoneBook. This does to the category tab listing that palm does, and it remembers the last category you were in. It is still in beta form and I have sent in my opinions to the developer. But for a beta app it looks like its heading in the right direction.

This is what I sent to the developer

1. When viewing a contact in full, clicking on the default number to send an sms gives an error : "Sorry! The application Messages (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. I can only force close at this point. Trying again does not work
  2. It would be nice to have a birthday field
  3. A t9 search facility would be nice
  4. It would be especially nice to have the sense UI at the bottom that the HTC People app has to see messages, emails, missed calls from the selected contact
You can see this app here : Cyrket - ePhonebook

It may help you out

Cheers Nelly

I feel your pain, I so do. :( Categories of the Palm, let me count the ways...

I don't know what you mean by "this will contact all people in that list at the same time" ... is that in your Messaging app? I have a Galaxy, so if the Hero is different ... just disregard everything below.

Anyway, there are groups in your contacts list, sort of. I suppose you have created groups in GMail and sorted your contacts into them? There's no way to set or change these group affiliations from within Android.
smiley_emoticons_doh.gif

On the phone, you start up Contacts (ie. third tab in Phone app) and hit Menu, then "Display Group", then choose a group (or "All Contacts"), and finally hit "OK". You'll see only the contacts from that group. Not exactly elegant, but the best that can be managed at this point.

Oh! And WELCOME to the forum! May you find enlightenment and friendship.
smiley_emoticons_doh.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones