• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
My friend works at an AT&T retail store, and he knew I have been thinking of buying one, he called today saying some boxes came in yesterday, and he said I could come in to look at it. Now I have only had one other android experience, and that was the droid (set up my boss's email), so I didn't really have any real experience with any Android software, please keep that in mind.

I liked it from what I experienced. It really didn't feel that much slower than the droid, if I had long time use of one, I would have probably have noticed the difference. The screen, was actually smaller than expected. I knew it was small, but actually seeing it in person makes a difference. Small screen in the end didn't really bother me all that much, and I liked the physical keyboard. the keyboard was way better than the droid, (like I said, only about 15 min of personal use, so no long term experience). Knowing they been having problems with the Nexus One, I think this will be a good phone till the next version of the nexus comes out. So I don't have plans for super long term use. I couldn't get it to go into that stand, dock mode. That REALLY bothered me, but I probably was doing something wrong, or didn't set it up to do it, don't know.

So I'll probably buy it tomorrow. I never used android 2.1, so I won't be missing anything. Now I do think its COMPLETELY stupid having a first android phone come out with outdated software, and last years processor, but after all the online backlash, and actual user complaints will get them moving to make sure they get the software updated quicker (hopefully). But faster could mean more buggy. Also i am going to LOATHE having to use yahoo. I have only used Yahoo once and that was when I was 12, I am 26 now, so first time in 14 years I am going to have to use it. (not sure when yahoo came out, I might be exaggerating). Hope fully I can EASILY change that, or I am HACKING it. No real user experience of the MOTOBLUR yet, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea, and I will probably try it out.

I hate the fact that AT&T loves loading undeletable shit on their phones. The reason why I want an android is because of its more customization, unlike apple. Since I am impatient and desperately needing a new phone, I think it'll be good from what I have experienced so far. Long time use will only tell.

Just got a Backflip.

I am coming from the Samsung Eternity.

First thoughts on the Backflip:

I like the track pad
The way it opens is oddball, buts makes a strange kind of sense.
I could do with more plain Android and less MotoBlur/AT&T bloat.

I didn't notice how rubbery the resistive touch screen on the Eternity felt until I used it side by side with the Backflip. The Backflip is much more sensitive and smoother to the touch.

Within 10 minutes I had my calendar synced with my Google online calendar.

I've already got one e-mail account set up and working great.

I don't use any of the social networks and have cleared the screens of widgets that are used with them.

I am hoping to find an app or method to allow deletion of multiple e-mails and text messages. from the list view there's no way to delete stuff at all, you have to open them them delete.

I am still learning my way around, but my initial judgment is positive.

Upvote 0
I bought it today as well like I said.

The only thing it does need is stock android. I'm not complaining yet about motorblur. Think there needs to be an actual way to turn it off. Hating Yahoo, and can't find a way to change that yet. Think there needs to be. Looked for a google search on the android market and couldn't find one. I'm probably looking in the wrong place. Still no serious complaints yet.

Upvote 0
Mine hasn't. doesn't mean it won't. Read the other forum and say that it was during camera/video mode. I used that MODE a lot yesterday and the phone I was using was not resetting. I just tried playing with it a couple and no reset yets. I know when you first start it, it does some background stuff for about 30 minutes cause of the motoblur, so maybe that does something??

Also Found out the dock mode only activates when its plugged into an outlet, which makes sense..

Upvote 0
Mine hasn't. doesn't mean it won't. Read the other forum and say that it was during camera/video mode. I used that MODE a lot yesterday and the phone I was using was not resetting. I just tried playing with it a couple and no reset yets. I know when you first start it, it does some background stuff for about 30 minutes cause of the motoblur, so maybe that does something??

Also Found out the dock mode only activates when its plugged into an outlet, which makes sense..

Dock mode will activate while it isn't plugged in just set it on a flat surface.

Upvote 0
I traded in my iPhone 3G for the backflip. For me, the 528mhz processor is quite speedy (i'm used to the 400mhz in the iphone). No lagging between home screen swipes. Scrolling very fast. App launch times very fast. Good amount of internal memory. No reboots.

What I love about it is what I missed in the iPhone.
Customizable. Widgets. Hardware Keyboard (big plus). Motoblur is alright. Don't mind it.

Really want the updated OS though. Hopefully they dont sit on this too long.

Overall, for a iPhone coming out of contract, this was a no brainer for $100 after rebate.

Upvote 0
awesome phone really. i came from a jailbroken 2g iphone. i could live without motoblur really. with all the facebook friends it's kinda annoying not being able to filter what comes in.

speed is awesome, and multitasking on this is a no brainer. i can google chat, check twitter/facebook and mail, and web browse at the same time so im happy.

the little annoyances i can deal with for the moment.

hopefully 2.1 comes out soon on this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones