1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Personal safety app for sharing location: Android & iOS

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Paddy Landau, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Paddy Landau

Paddy Landau Well-Known Member

Sometimes, one of my children won't be in the safest area. If I go to pick them up, I like them to be able to see where I am so that they know when to expect me, and to stay safe in the meantime. Conversely, if they're using their own transport, e.g. cycling, I like them to keep me updated where they are from when they start travelling to when they reach home, so that if something goes wrong, I can be aware of it as soon as possible.

Google used to make a personal safety app like this, for both Android and iOS. It was respectful of privacy — it shared only when the sharer explicitly asked it to (preventing stalking), the sharer could turn it off manually at any time, and it had an automatic 24-hour time out anyway. But it didn't work well, and it's been discontinued.

I see that Google now has a Personal Safety app to do the same thing, but it's available only on Pixel phones. So, while I can use it, my children can't.

I have been looking for a suitable app. There's the bSafe app, but you can't even test it without paying a rather expensive fee on every phone where it's used; the costs quickly add up. (It has a host of features that we don't need.) I'm not going to pay a lot of money for something before I've even had a chance to test it.

I know that this can be subjective, but I would like some ideas for a good app to use, please. What the app needs is:
    • One person can share their current location (automatically updated using GPS) to a chosen second person.
    • Sharing doesn't start unless manually initiated by the sharer.
    • Sharing can be manually turned off at any time, and preferably also has an automatic timeout.
    • It needs to work on both Android and iOS.
    • The price needs to be reasonable (I'm not flush with money).
    Thank you!

CertifCellular likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

3. Paddy Landau

Thanks, but it's not my app. That's Google's app.

Unforgiven likes this.
  4. Gandiflop

Gandiflop Newbie

I used life360 for both my daughters it worked well, untill they started dating & switched it off lol, I think it was £45 for a Yr & it has its own msg service witch is free to use, not shire abought any other app though as it was the only one I have used.

P. S they were devistated when a showed them the history of where they had been it come up once the re enable the app again ha ha ha

5. Paddy Landau

Thank you for this suggestion. I'll check it out.

I don't intend to have it on all the time. I think that that would be intrusive and disrespectful of my children. I would ask them to turn it on only while travelling through unsafe areas or during unsafe times.

6. Gandiflop

Gandiflop Newbie

I can't speak for all trackers, just the one I used once u are subscribed your tracked 24 hrs a day u can't just turn it off, (unless u uninstall the app)
    Personally I don't think knowing your kids location 24hrs a day is a bad thing.
    The unexpected can happen at any time they might not have a chance to switch it on.

7. Paddy Landau

The kids are older, so it would be an intrusion on their lives. They need to have control over when they share.

8. Gandiflop

Gandiflop Newbie

Im not shure what u are looking for exists tbh, trackers are 24 hrs a day kind of deal once u install or subscribe, u may be best to just get there device info so u can use find my phone function if u need to.
    The tracker i used only showed there location no access to any thing else.

9. Paddy Landau

I suppose that some are, but they are far from the only type. As mentioned in the OP, the one that I used only started when manually requested, and had an automatic time out of 24 hours. Google's new Pixel-only Personal Safety also works on an opt-in rather than an opt-out basis.

10. Gandiflop

Gandiflop Newbie

I have never used or heard of this type of tracker, i thought tbey were all the same tbh.

Personal Safety

Personal Safety Forum

com.google.android.apps.safetyhub

READ MORE
November 12, 2020
Last Updated
Rating
Installs