1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Personalising texting threads - possible?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jozudave, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Jozudave

Jozudave Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    London
    Hi,

Is it possible to personalise texting threads based on who the thread is with?

i.e. if the thread is one with a friend I could set some kind of person-specific background behind the text bubbles rather than the standard black background?

I ask because I'm constantly almost accidentally texting to the wrong people on the wrong thread because if you enter the wrong thread (easily done with touch screens) then you have no way of knowing that unless you actually read the previous texts to check or look to see if there name is in the small bar near the top of the screen.

It'd be much easier if I could set fun backgrounds or at least different colours other than black for different people.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    wut?
    the person's name appears at the very top of the text thread...

3. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    UK
    Assign pictures to your contacts, these pictures will appear in all that contacts shortcuts, gtalk, texts threads, latitude, home screen shortcut etc ...

4. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2009
    South East England
    Another workaround (albeit not a great one) is once you're in the text thread, flip the phone so that it is horizontal and it will then give you a preview type screen showing you exactly which thread you are currently in.

5. Jozudave

Jozudave Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    London
    Yes indeed, but sometimes when you choose a person/thread from your message list you accidentally hit the wrong one either because your finger touched the wrong one on the hyper-sensitive touch screen or if you can't see great because it's sunny.

At that point once you're in the thread the only indication of who the thread is with (other than the actual text content in the messages) is their name at the top left as you mentioned, but a) it's small and b) the whole point of texting is to be able to do it fast so constantly checking I've got the right thread is annoying.

One way around this would be getting to choose colours or individual backgrounds behind text threads that are personal to each friend. So I could have say, a beach background for one friend or some flowers for my girlfriend. Not only would that be handy so you'd immediately know you're in the correct thread, it'd also be quite fun.

Xplosiv - Thanks for input, but as you'll see when you go into a text thread the photo goes away at that point leaving you with only a name is relatively small lettering at the top of the screen to indicate you're in the right thread. Not a problem in the slightest if you're being careful, but I've already accidentally texted a couple of wrong people in a rush.

6. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    UK
    If thats the case, then;

A) be more careful when texting
    B) try an alternative sms app like hand cent
    C) root and get a decent mod like cynogen that lets you resize the texts font, it also keeps the photos when your in the thread ;)

Jozudave likes this.
  7. Jozudave

Jozudave Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    London
    :D

1) I'll do my best
    2) Thanks, I'll go check it out and give it a shot!!
    3) Scared to root it, never done that before ;)

Thanks!

8. GalaxyS2

GalaxyS2 Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2011
    UK
    Yes, handcent has a photo next to each text, not just on the main text screen.

9. JR866Gooner

JR866Gooner Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 9, 2010
    IT> MCDST
    UK- East Anglia
    Go SMS is a good one too!