• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Pete has the official FroYo rooted

I have never rooted before but after updated with the OTA update I am disappointed with it. Can I just download this name it update.zip and do the same install process as the OTA or do I have to wait/do something else to root?

downloading this will not root you, you have to already be rooted to use this ROM.

but, your a great test case to find out if 2.2 can be rooted since you have updated already you say. You could download that new just released Easy Root app for $1 and see if you can root your 2.2.. if you can, you prove that 2.2 is still rootable and then you can also take advantage of all the root benefits.

Upvote 0
downloading this will not root you, you have to already be rooted to use this ROM.

but, your a great test case to find out if 2.2 can be rooted since you have updated already you say. You could download that new just released Easy Root app for $1 and see if you can root your 2.2.. if you can, you prove that 2.2 is still rootable and then you can also take advantage of all the root benefits.

It says it is only available for droid 2.1 otherwise I would have tried that already. I guess I just have to wait for something

Upvote 0
I am running bb v.4...
1. why would i want to install this and
2. if i installed it as update.zip would i lose anything?

I am not installing the OTA over Pete's b/c Pete's customizations may in fact break this.

If you installed Pete's Froyo Official (rooted) you'd lose all of his customizations and such, among other things.

damn I unrooted for the ota

You can be rooted on 2.2 pretty easily - see http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/141116-guide-rooting-2-2-without-losing-app-data.html

Upvote 0
So if I am currently stock 2.1 and I want plain vanilla 2.2 but rooted this is the ROM I want want right? any idea why it is so much larger (64MB vs 45MB) than what he started with? not that I will miss the space just wondering what the extra bits are.

am I right that I need to do two things

Fist get rooted under 2.1
second update to this ROM?

Can i follow the guide ( http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/136508-guide-all-things-root-related.html ) and just substitute peters Rom or is there more to it?

Upvote 0
ng54kj.jpg

For those of you that stayed rooted while the Froyo OTA update was discovered, you can now have it with full root access. Yep, Pete (Mr. Bugless Beast) has already put together the FRG01B build, slipped in superuser and has it ready to rock on your Droid. What

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones