• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Peter Alfonso Gingerbread 2.3.2 ROM

Is anyone else having issues with swiping to unlock? If the display has been off for a while, I have to swipe 3 times before the screen will unlock. I'm also having problems with the display taking a long time to come back on after pulling the phone away from my head at the end of a phone call. Any of this sound familiar?

Yep, I had that issue. I have a lock-screen enabled and it sometimes took a few tries...push power button a few times...a few more tries before I was able to get to the launcher. This was very annoying.

I only tried one alternate kernel and it didn't solve the issue. Switched to Liquid Gingerbread v1.1 with the RKZ-1000 kernel and I am VERY happy. Won't switch to 1.2 until I find a reason.

Upvote 0
Ok major problem. About 2-3 times a day i need to restart the phone due to no radio signal. no texts, emails, phone calls get through or out. Its very frustrating, I end up with 10 text messages and a few voicemails once i reboot

anyone else have this issue or know whats happening?

Is it possible the workaround to get data to turn back on after a call was not implemented here?

I know CM7 had this problem in the early builds, but a workaround was implemented to make the ROM more worthwhile. It works most of the time, and was the dealbreaker for most.

I haven't tried this ROM so I wouldn't know for sure. In the meantime, the other workaround was to turn on airplane mode and then turn it off again.

Upvote 0
Is it possible the workaround to get data to turn back on after a call was not implemented here?

I know CM7 had this problem in the early builds, but a workaround was implemented to make the ROM more worthwhile. It works most of the time, and was the dealbreaker for most.

I haven't tried this ROM so I wouldn't know for sure. In the meantime, the other workaround was to turn on airplane mode and then turn it off again.

Thats quite possible. I also noticed when i make a call, 3G does not immediately come back on. I even tried the airplane mod workaround, but it didnt solve the issue. Guess its on to the next rom for me. Any suggestions? Maybe ill try a CM rom

Upvote 0
Anybody know how to block ads in this ROM?!

You can use AdFree Android to block them most likely. Some people are reporting it not working for them in the comments, but I have not had any issues.

You could also copy out one of the scripts from an old BB install if you have one available still (maybe on an old rom backup). Think you need to get the hosts file he provided in /system/xbin/hostsblock too for that. Looking at that script (my old version at least) it copies the /system/xbin/hostsblock to /system/ect/hosts.

Essentially these methods just add entries to the hosts file in /system/etc/ as far as I can tell, so you could even get a list in windows (Spybot S&D creates this for windows with their immunize functionality) and copy over a file to that location. I think you can probably google for some hosts block lists and come up with something usable.

Easiest solution is to probably just download the app unless someone has a better solution.

Upvote 0
You can use AdFree Android to block them most likely. Some people are reporting it not working for them in the comments, but I have not had any issues.

You could also copy out one of the scripts from an old BB install if you have one available still (maybe on an old rom backup). Think you need to get the hosts file he provided in /system/xbin/hostsblock too for that. Looking at that script (my old version at least) it copies the /system/xbin/hostsblock to /system/ect/hosts.

Essentially these methods just add entries to the hosts file in /system/etc/ as far as I can tell, so you could even get a list in windows (Spybot S&D creates this for windows with their immunize functionality) and copy over a file to that location. I think you can probably google for some hosts block lists and come up with something usable.

Easiest solution is to probably just download the app unless someone has a better solution.

+1. I use adfree with no issues too.

Upvote 0
I just downloaded GPA11 and am having several issues.

I seem to be having the home button issue. Only happens when I reboot the phone. Which is the same problem i had with Liquid Gingerbread and the Market. Home button works fine after fresh install but after a reboot the home button does nothing. I reinstalled the rom twice with similiar issues. Yes i did wipe everything. Another issue I found was the gallery wasn't able to find any of my pictures. Taking a picture showed a picture in the gallery but nothing else. I checked with astro and all my pictures are in the same exact spot as they always been. Also there were no ringtones. Not even the default ones. All i got to choose was silent for phone and notifications. I've only tried 2 gingerbread roms so far and it seem they are still too buggy. Im probably reverting back to froyo til the kinks can be worked out.

Update: Well seems that the home button problem ported over to my froyo rom so i did a hard factory reset and it fixed the problem. Apparently whatever that was broke a lot of things. Seems like a known issue in the android software. I did reinstall GPA11 and everything seems to be running smooth. It's nice to have a market again but for some reason it's only showing my purchased items. Even used Titanium Backup to repair the market but the problems still there. Other than that this rom is running smooth.

Upvote 0
I just downloaded GPA11 and am having several issues.

I seem to be having the home button issue. Only happens when I reboot the phone. Which is the same problem i had with Liquid Gingerbread and the Market. Home button works fine after fresh install but after a reboot the home button does nothing. I reinstalled the rom twice with similiar issues. Yes i did wipe everything. Another issue I found was the gallery wasn't able to find any of my pictures. Taking a picture showed a picture in the gallery but nothing else. I checked with astro and all my pictures are in the same exact spot as they always been. Also there were no ringtones. Not even the default ones. All i got to choose was silent for phone and notifications. I've only tried 2 gingerbread roms so far and it seem they are still too buggy. Im probably reverting back to froyo til the kinks can be worked out.

Update: Well seems that the home button problem ported over to my froyo rom so i did a hard factory reset and it fixed the problem. Apparently whatever that was broke a lot of things. Seems like a known issue in the android software. I did reinstall GPA11 and everything seems to be running smooth. It's nice to have a market again but for some reason it's only showing my purchased items. Even used Titanium Backup to repair the market but the problems still there. Other than that this rom is running smooth.

For some reason, the only ROM that automatically restored my apps/data after my first login has been Chevys SS 5.0. For this ROM and Petes last BB, I had to manually do it with TiBu. Not sure what causes this. SS 5.0 didn't run nearly as smooth on my phone as this has though, so I came back to this for the time being.

I've never have that issue with my home button though since I've had my Droid (15 months).

Edit: Got a Q that I couldn't find by Googling; what do the white/green colors mean for the WiFi/1x/3G icons in the notification bar represent? Whenever I initially connect to WiFi or carrier data, the icons are temporarily white, then switch to a green color after a moment. I assume it means the connection is done initializing, but that's just a guess.

Upvote 0
For some reason, the only ROM that automatically restored my apps/data after my first login has been Chevys SS 5.0. For this ROM and Petes last BB, I had to manually do it with TiBu. Not sure what causes this. SS 5.0 didn't run nearly as smooth on my phone as this has though, so I came back to this for the time being.

I've never have that issue with my home button though since I've had my Droid (15 months).

Edit: Got a Q that I couldn't find by Googling; what do the white/green colors mean for the WiFi/1x/3G icons in the notification bar represent? Whenever I initially connect to WiFi or carrier data, the icons are temporarily white, then switch to a green color after a moment. I assume it means the connection is done initializing, but that's just a guess.

I don't know for sure but I would agree with that the icons turn to green after initializing. My 3g icon does this when it first comes up after switching from wi-fi.

I have to say I am liking GPA11 and can't wait for a Bugless Beast version. I also flashed the recommended 1ghz Slahyer kernel and it really smoothed it out.

Upvote 0
Got a Q that I couldn't find by Googling; what do the white/green colors mean for the WiFi/1x/3G icons in the notification bar represent? Whenever I initially connect to WiFi or carrier data, the icons are temporarily white, then switch to a green color after a moment. I assume it means the connection is done initializing, but that's just a guess.

It means that a connection to the Google servers has been established.

Billy

Upvote 0
Pete has just released GPA12 for those who want to go forward with it.

As a followup to earlier posts, I discovered that Titanium Bkup wants USB Debugging turned on. Also GPA11 continued the behavior of cycling thru USB notifications over and over when plugged into my Vehicle USB connection (2011 RX450H) but not when plugged into my VISTA Laptop.

Go Launcher EX released an update that added some good features, but now seems to occasionally experience a multi-second delay when switching from an APP back to a home screen, but not every time?? Launcher Pro still suffers does this every time. I don't see the pattern yet, but I am still trying to figure out why some are slow and others very fast.

Over-all this seems to be a good ROM, and I think the BB version will be even better.

Upvote 0
I just install it and must say I love it. I have had a few hang ups as in screen lag. other than that very snappy. Using the 1ghz Slahyer kernel. Battery life seems to be A LOT BETTER than being stock . I will see how the rom acts on down the road. But so far so good.

the back button seems to lag a bit on me. I have to hit it 3 to 4 times. anyone else notice this?

Upvote 0
GPA12 working well for me (upgraded from GPA10), with the exception of the light sensor. Whenever I turn the screen on, all the soft keys are on, and the screen is dim. Does this regardless of how bright the lights are. I have to cycle the screen off-on twice to get it to work right.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Upvote 0
I just install it and must say I love it. I have had a few hang ups as in screen lag. other than that very snappy. Using the 1ghz Slahyer kernel. Battery life seems to be A LOT BETTER than being stock . I will see how the rom acts on down the road. But so far so good.

the back button seems to lag a bit on me. I have to hit it 3 to 4 times. anyone else notice this?

I have switched to Pete's new kernel and I have found it works much better than the Slayher. It runs alot cooler and seems smoother. I am using his 1ghz though he has released a number of different speeds.

These are for GB only AFAIK.

Peter Alfonso

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones