1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Phandroid: Apple going after HTC

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Vanquished, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Vanquished

Vanquished Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Male
    Student
    USA
    Apple has decided to go after our beloved HTC and ban phones like our E3D.
    Apple Brings HTC Into the Hardware Import Mix in Hopes to Ban Sale of Their Products

[​IMG]

Apparently they are going after GetJar for using the term "App Store" right after Amazon. This article is pretty interesting as well, since Apple doesn't technically have the rights to the term.
    Smartphone legal battles are officially ridiculous, GetJar is the latest victim of Apple’s bullying [RANT]

It's interesting to see how Apple's business model has changed from when they were nearly bankrupt to today as well. The first 30 seconds of this video show Steve Jobs saying that businesses need to work together and have good relationships for the industry to move forward...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOp5mBY9IY

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Yeap - saw that.

Moved to Android Lounge. ;)

3. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    This is so upsetting... I understood the complaint with Samsung because of similarities between the Galaxy S line and the iPhone, but why HTC? They develop original products with original interfaces. I don't understand this. I must either be ignorant to the law or this is outrageous.

4. Vanquished

None

Nov 2, 2010
    Male
    Student
    USA
    I've said this before. I've never really had a problem with Apple products. They tend to make quality products. I prefer Android and Windows because of the customization you can do with them though. I have purchased iPods in the past and like them as well.

With all of the nonsense that Apple is creating though, I refuse to buy anything from them, even a song off of iTunes. It's been several years since I bought anything from them, and I will never buy anything from them again because of their business model and the moron of a CEO they have.

It's a shame, really. Why can't they just "partner up" as Steve Jobs himself said rather than sue everyone and hinder the innovation in the tech industry?

Spaceprobe likes this.
  5. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    I agree with you Vanquished. They make good products and if they do everything you need them to, then who cares? Choose the product that makes YOU the happiest. However with these repeated attacks on other competing companies in addition to some of the decisions made with DRM protection on older iTunes music, I'm really disappointed with Apple. It seems like they're just getting greedy, jealous, and selfish.
    When I speak about the DRM protection on older music I'm speaking about being asked personally by Apple to pay $130 to "unlock" music I've already purchased through them once already. They could easily unlock all older DRM protected music for free and be praised for doing so, but no. I have to pay for music I already bought once... ridiculous...

6. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Well, that just cements it. I will never buy another Apple product, again. Unless absolutely necessary because nothing else exists. By all means, if someone genuinely wrongs you, you should stand up for your brand. Squabbling over "App Store"? That's just ridiculous. Clearly Apple has nothing better to do than throw their weight around to try to make more room for the iPhone X+1. Doesn't HTC have a stronger claim because they made the PocketPC back in the day, before Apple even conceptualized the first iPhone?

7. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    Frankly, I wouldn't care if they were the only source, I never have purchased Apple products and I never will, their business model just makes me ill. I've never even been tempted to own an iPod, iPad, iPhone, Mac, or anything else of the sort. There are other manufacturers out there making quality products I prefer - well, until Apple legally manipulates them out of business there are :rolleyes:

8. Remordere

Remordere Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 4, 2011
    IT Student
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Since they can't compete with those companies......sue, sue, sue.

9. Drhyde

Drhyde Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 23, 2009
    Kitchen prep...in hell...
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I just made a blog post about this relating to the case at hand and patents in general. In short, Apple has become the very opposite of innovation. They have always lead the pack when it comes to unique offerings and ideas. Now, they're trying to blot out the competition because things are moving to fast for them. Apple wants to keep things slow so they can keep their huge profit margins off outdated hardware. How would Apple expect to compete against manufacturers bringing out dual-core chipset phones every month and they haven't even released information about what the next iPhone will be?

Personally, I'm almost more disgusted with Microsoft's mafia strong arm tactics. It's less overt since Microsoft can hardly handle any bad press with the sordid past. It's still wrong and I believe Barnes and Noble is going to challenge it if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully they win. Many of these patents need to be invalidated or made public domain because with companies going to war like this, we're going to be the ones that lose.

10. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Use this:

The Federal Trade Commission. The complaint page. Make your views known.

Contact Us

11. Shocky

Shocky On Probation
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    They just can't stop can they? didn't Apple lose one recently and told to pay up?

12. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Why do you think they're unique in the tech industry? Are you unaware of all the other lawsuits kicked off by all the other players?

13. Vanquished

None

Nov 2, 2010
    Male
    Student
    USA
    Because of Steve Jobs attitude when Apple was about to tank. It is a unique situation because of how they have completely turned on those that kept them alive. I may not be aware of every lawsuit going on but Apple seems to be going overboard, especially with patents and ideas that were never theirs to begin with (and quite frankly I don't care to know, since everyone sues everyone at the drop of a hat these days).

14. copr165

copr165 Member
    None

Mar 21, 2010
    Very well said and ditto.

15. Recoil1

Recoil1 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
  16. Covart

Covart Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    And yet you still put gas in your car from Exxon, 76 or whereever and eat at stores like McDonalds. If you want to cater to certain businesses based on their business model that fits your ethos, then you won't be buying from many places.

Oh wait, this is just the hate on Apple forum. If you think Google is a saint of a company, I got a bridge to sell you in Arizona.

17. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    Where I buy my gas or where I eat has nothing to do with this discussion. I certainly can and do base my decisions on what I buy and whom I buy it from on how I feel about the product - that's the way it works. I don't like Apple. Doesn't mean it's a hate Apple forum, it's an opinion, which I am totally entitled to have - as you are to have yours. Since this is an Android forum, you'll find many opinions here about various manufacturers, Samsung is one, some swear they'll never buy another one because of certain Captivate issues. Again, decisions based on how businesses operate happen all the time - it's the way it works.