• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phantom alerts

Several times each day I'll hear and/or feel the start of a notification--like the alert gets aborted part-way through--and then nothing happens. There's no new alert/notification.

A couple of times I caught a quick glimpse of the alerting app before it disappeared, and both times it happened to be the NBC4LA app. I checked its notification settings but didn't see anything odd.

It's happening more often, and it's kind of annoying.

On a related note, I do not have any apps set to vibrate on alerting, but as noted above, I'm hearing and/or FEELING these phantom alerts. I don't know of a way to search through all my apps' notification settings to track down whatever rogue apps are vibrating. I definitely do not want to go through them one by one!

Why don't you just disable, uninstall or disable all notifications (from within your phone settings/apps page) for the NBC app and see if the notifications stop @MoodyBlues ?
I knew it sounded like I meant that app, alone, was the culprit, but it's not. It's just one that I managed to catch a glimpse of.

But maybe I'll try your suggestion and see if it helps.

I'd really like to find a way to search through all my apps' notification settings to find any that vibrate--a setting I definitely did not choose for any app.

Or find a way to see which app alerted at a specific time.

We're using Linux, damn it! A grep here, a while: do there, this should be so easy...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
That's ok, I did kind of guess that. But as you deeply suspect that app it's a good place to start. ;)

Well you kinda can, go into your phones settings page and search "Notifications" and then pick the notification description with the orange icon. In this page it will list all the latest notifications you have received.

The above maybe different on your phone tho @MoodyBlues .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190407-063615_Settings Suggestions.jpg
    Screenshot_20190407-063615_Settings Suggestions.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20190407-063623_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190407-063623_Settings.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
1. Open settings.
2. Tap search and enter "notifications."
3. The following screen appears.
__temp2.png

4. Tap the Apps option in the screen above.
5. The following screen appears.
5a. NOTE: It shows I have notifications disabled for the 1Weather app, and blocked for the first two listed apps.
6. Tap the drop-down icon.
__temp.png

7. The following options are displayed in the drop-down menu.
8. I think this will ease your pain a little.
9. Enjoy your "Easter Egg Hunt" and let us know what happens...
__temp3.png

Upvote 0
Hey Moody someone posted an app yesterday that keeps track of all your notifications so that you can view your notifications at any time even if you've cleared them from the notification area.

I think an app like this might help you track the notifications in question to pin point the apps. I was trying to find the thread, but couldn't and can't remember the app name. :(

Upvote 0
Hey Moody someone posted an app yesterday that keeps track of all your notifications so that you can view your notifications at any time even if you've cleared them from the notification area.

I think an app like this might help you track the notifications in question to pin point the apps. I was trying to find the thread, but couldn't and can't remember the app name. :(
Oh, wow, that would be great! Any ideas on where you might have seen it? I'm going to try searching...

ETA: I found the thread! The app is called Recent Notification. I've installed it; will report back if it solves the mystery. Thanks, GT!

Last edited:
Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
1. Open settings.
2. Tap search and enter "notifications."
3. The following screen appears.
View attachment 140997

4. Tap the Apps option in the screen above.
5. The following screen appears.
5a. NOTE: It shows I have notifications disabled for the 1Weather app, and blocked for the first two listed apps.
6. Tap the drop-down icon.
View attachment 140998

7. The following options are displayed in the drop-down menu.
8. I think this will ease your pain a little.
9. Enjoy your "Easter Egg Hunt" and let us know what happens...
View attachment 140999
Thanks...sounds great...but I don't have anything similar. :(

And you've totally piqued my interest with that "Easter egg hunt" bit. I love Easter eggs!

Upvote 0
That's ok, I did kind of guess that. But as you deeply suspect that app it's a good place to start. ;)
You know what? It's starting to look like you nailed it.

Thanks to @GameTheory, I found this notification app, Recent Notification. Within minutes of installing it, that thing happened again. Care to guess which app showed up in the new app's log at exactly that time? Yep, the NBC4LA app.

I need to give this more time to see if there are any other apps doing the same thing.

What I can't understand, though, is why it's vibrating when NOWHERE is that app [or any other] set to vibrate. :thinking:

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok I'm impressed. Don't know how you found it so easily. I went back like 6 pages and didn't see it, though I was looking for something with "notification" in the title. :oops:
Old UNIX skills. :) (Actually, I used the advanced search function, narrowed down the date to a few days before yesterday, and searched for 'notification.')
All credit goes to @Dannydet . I wouldn't have known about it had he not posted it.
Yes, I 'liked' his post in that thread. I'll go back and add my $0.02 worth later. I liked the app so much, I got the paid version!

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones