1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phantom notifications

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Geo Ego, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Geo Ego

Geo Ego Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2016
    Male
    I am getting phantom or mystery notifications on my Samsung Galaxy S7. Every day at around the same time (10:00 - 10:05 AM), and throughout the day randomly (3-4 different times). I hear a notification sound, but have nothing in my notification area. I hear it even with "Do Not Disturb" turned on.

Looking at my notification history, it first appeared that Weather Underground was causing the notification, so I uninstalled it and replaced it with AccuWeather. I had the same problem, and it appeared to be AccuWeather, so I uninstalled it.

Now that I don't have a weather app, the most recent notification that matches up with that time came from "System UI" with the body "Select Keyboard". Yesterday, it was "System UI" again, but this time "Do Not Disturb turned on". I did not turn DnD on or off at that time, and even when I do, I do not receive a notification sound. I don't know if it might be related, but there are also several "Select Keyboard" notifications in a row.

Advertisement

2. Mr Marcus

Mr Marcus Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 4, 2010
    DC
    I have the same issue - VZW S7. Happens seemingly randomly several times a day. I have reviewed literally every app and downloaded three different "Notification Log" apps, and they don't even pick up the notification. Just been dealing with it. Would love to hear if someone has the answer.

3. Bibbo

Bibbo Lurker
    None

Jun 28, 2016
    Male
    I'm having the same issue with an AT&T S6E. Just started a couple of nights ago and happens 3-4x per day. No notification bar, just the sound. The sound is the original iPhone notification sound. Never heard it on my phone before this problem started so I'm not sure which app may be causing it. It happens even if my phone is on silent. I downloaded a notification history app and it does not detect anything. Also, notification reminders are turned off as is NFC. Any help would be much appreciated.

4. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    If you at the time and patience try the following.

– By going into notification sounds and playing them individually, identify the name of the notification sound you are hearing.
    – Using a good file Explorer go to /system/media/audio/notifications/.
    – Find the notification you had identified and using the file Explorer, change the name, not the extension (.ogg). Make a note of the change.
    – Whichever process or app that is making the notification sound should no longer be able to access that particular sound.

5. PrinceOfDorne

PrinceOfDorne Well-Known Member

May 11, 2013
    Male
    Lawyer
    Philippines
    Sounds like a unique horror movie.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.