1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phantom Touches

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tosa90, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Tosa90

Tosa90 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Machinist
    Milwaukee,WI
    I think thats the best way of describing it. It started happening last night and now no matter what I do its like having someone start tapping randomly around my screen whil I'm using the phone.

Examples:
    When typing random letters on the other side of the keyboard will start hitting.

Also, when browsing it starts zooming as if i had both fingers on the screen.

I have already removed my screen protector in case oil from my skin or some other chemical was mimicking a second finger on the screen.

Please help:(

Advertisement

2. Tosa90

Tosa90 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Machinist
    Milwaukee,WI
    After doing some research I found a post on the CyanogenMod forums about the D1 saying that a third party charger can cause this problem.

So i downloaded a multitouch test app and found that with the charger attached there were 3 to 4 points of contact opposite of my thumb on the screen.

All of the points were almost on top of each other. They were all at the same point on the Y-axis of the display in landscape and near the same point on the X-axis if you were to split the screen in half and fold it back on itself.

The odd thing is that I am using an OEM charger but I'm using a USB cord that came with one of my Logitech Mice because the OEM cord is stupidly short.

3. amageus

amageus Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 24, 2009
    I had this issue when trying to use a cigarette ligther wall plug on my D1. I had misplaced my wall charger and had a car charger so I bought the cigarette lighter wall plug cause it as cheaper than a wall plug. First time I used it it would randomly press buttons on my screen. I only used it now to charge my phone. I just shut off the screen and all was good. Now i have 2 USB wall chargers and dont need it anymore.

4. almahix

almahix Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 12, 2009
    Retired software whore
    Southern CA
    I observed this with cheap aftermarket chargers and avoided them on my D1. Since I got the bionic I get the same effect when using the Firefox app. I was so excited about getting the bionic so I could use my favorite browser (and sync w/my other computers) but the touchpad is so bad I can't use Firefox at all. I need a touchpad sensitivity attenuator!

5. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    I have the same problem, but it's with the charger that came with my dock! Sheesh!

6. Tosa90

Tosa90 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Machinist
    Milwaukee,WI
    That's what I'm using. It came with a dock for my OG DROID. I'm just using my own cable because Motorola only includes a 2 foot long cable which is useless.

I have 3 new cables on the way from monoprice right now, a 6ft, 10ft, and 15ft. Should be here early next week. I hope I don't have this same problem with those.

7. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    Even the USB cable does the same thing. But I only get phantom touches when I'm trying to unlock the phone, any other time it works perfectly. The MultiTouch tester registers no extra points.

8. Tosa90

Tosa90 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Machinist
    Milwaukee,WI
    I was getting them on the Stock Keyboard and while browsing only.

I plugged the phone in later and the problem didn't happen again.

9. Nuar

Nuar Member
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    Yup I get that too sometimes when charging with the original charger that came with the bionic. (the wall plug/usb cord charger)
    Not really a big deal though, I barely ever use my phone when its on the charger.

10. HotDawg

HotDawg Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    data analyst

Yes! My keyboard (swype,anyway) is unuseable in the dock.