1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phantom wifi networks

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pkoutoul, Nov 12, 2014.

1. pkoutoul

pkoutoul Member

Here's a weird problem that just started occurring recently on my Galaxy S5 (AT&T) on 4.4.2.

When I look at my wifi networks, I see a list that includes many secured networks that I don't recognize and believe to be fake -- see attachment. (The open network at the bottom is a real one, BTW. Scrolling down reveals yet more of these fake networks.) There are two strange things about these connections.

First, I am certain that they are not real networks. I live 60 miles from where I work and no matter where I am, they always show up and always with a very strong signal. My house is in a rural area with fewer than 5 other houses within a quarter mile of me and yet I get this at home.

Second, I cannot get my phone to forget these. Long-pressing on any of them gives only the option to connect, unlike with real networks where you get the option to forget the connection. Obviously, I'm not about to attempt a connection.

This appears to be something coming from the phone itself, which has me concerned about malware. Anyone else ever see anything like this? I've seen a couple similar posts elsewhere but no answers so far.

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews