1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Phenomenal kernel

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ironass, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Phenomenal kernel v2.1 is basic!

If Siyah is regarded as the grand daddy of all kernels with all its bells and whistles... then Phenomenal is its poorer 3rd cousin, twice removed. :p

That's not to say that it doesn't do the job... it does!

However, it is very much WYSIWYG, (What You See Is What You Get).

I should say, Phenomenal kernels, as there are currently 6 of them, 3 Black and 3 Blue versions, labelled Normal, Medium and Extreme.

They are based on either SpeedMod kernels K-16 and K-18 and each comes with with a level of pre-tweaking... take it or leave it.

I tested the Phenomenal Black Extreme 2.1 version.

The Good

Very smooth and fast on Conservative+cfq.
    Deep sleep like you would not believe.
    Very simple and easy to install via Recovery.
    No fiddly ad-ons required and hardly any settings to play with.
    Very good on battery life for me.
    Nice benchmark scores if you're into that sort of thing.

The Bad

No BLN, (Back Light Notification) support.
    No custom boot animation support.
    No o/c and u/c from the predefined stock 200MHz to 100MHz requires a script to be loaded in init.d using Root Explorer and permissions.
    A limited, I think about 4 or 5, governors and schedulers to play with but having said that, the ones provided did their job***.
    No voltage changing. If you want a different set-up... flash another version.

The Ugly

***As mentioned, I only tried the Black Extreme version but when I applied the, "Powersave" governor... it did not like it! No SOD or anything, just a feeling of wading through treacle. Probaby a governor more suited to the Normal or Medium kernel versions. All the other governors on the version I tried were spot-on though.

All-in-all, a very good kernel for both speed and performance but you would have to be willing to perhaps try 2 or 3 versions to see what suited you best although I was quite pleased with the one I used.

I'd recommend this for beginners who do not want to have to worry about add-on's, tweaks and scripts or need BLN but who do want an end result that mirror's other kernels that do.

For more information and downloads, see here:-

[KERNEL] Phenomenal [2.1] - xda-developers

Advertisement

redbulletnl likes this.