• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phiremod v6.3 small tweaks

klouud

Jun 19, 2011
Ok, first of all I want to give a huge thanx to colchiro and the rest of the great people here on Android Forums that have helped me over the past week get my wife's NookColor up and running. Thank you so so much!

Next I want to express that after trying a ton of builds and install methods that my absolute favorite so far is phiremod v6.3 as an internal install. It runs absolutely flawlessly, can overclock to 1300MHz, and has some really great features baked in.

There are a few minor tweaks that I would like to make such as:

1. How do I add custom apps to the dock?
--When I press on a + icon, a pre-determined list of apps pops up. How do I add apps to the list?

2. I am an iPhone Jailbreaker - how do I manually theme the icons?
--I saw this thread: http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all-things-root/349015-phiremod-6-3-theme-removal.html but refuse to believe that theming requires a .apk install

3. Is there a way to add custom loading and booting screens?

4. How do I add the default NookColor key clicks to phiremod?
--I want to hear a click every time I use the keyboard and every time I click an option in the UI

5. Is it possible to customize the app drawer to scroll like the Nexus?

6. How do I add an application manager to the notification menu?
--I'm using Advanced Task Killer Free, but would love it to be integrated into the notifications screen like in HoneyComb

7. After my clean install, I used battery calibration: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration
--I used the NookColor for about an hour and dropped from 100% to 85%. Is that normal for continuous usage while overclocked to 1300MHz?

8. What resolution wallpapers should I use?

Thats all I can think of for now.

tim

Reactions: colchiro
I think that I can answer #1. The rest are above my pay grade.

Open your app drawer, long-click on an icon, and then you can drag it where you want, including the dock. At least, that's how it works in Zeam, but it sounds like you're using ADW, though I assume they're similar.

Upvote 0
I think that I can answer #1. The rest are above my pay grade.

Open your app drawer, long-click on an icon, and then you can drag it where you want, including the dock. At least, that's how it works in Zeam, but it sounds like you're using ADW, though I assume they're similar.

No it doesn't quite work like that for the custom dock

I think I figured out the UI and Keyboard key clicks. Aside from enabling them, I had to increase the volume settings. The clicks are still kinda soft tho...

9. Is there a volume amplifier tweak?

Upvote 0
For wallpapers I suggest getting Wallpaper Wizardrii from the market. It will size wallpapers correctly for you. If you want non-scrolling wallpaper it is 1024x600. I forget what the regular scrollable size is...1024x?

My battery goes kind of fast too depending on what I am doing. Even just in sleep mode though it uses more than the 1% an hour I have heard others claim. Maybe 1 and a half or 2%.

Upvote 0
... Even just in sleep mode though it uses more than the 1% an hour I have heard others claim. Maybe 1 and a half or 2%.

Mine was doing that same thing, I changed to CM7 101 w/Dal's 6/13 and now it uses only 1% overnight (not plugged in) with WiFi on.
I'm not sure whether it's the ROM or the kernel that's really in control of how 'deep' the sleep is, but one of those two fixed it for me.

Upvote 0
Mine was doing that same thing, I changed to CM7 101 w/Dal's 6/13 and now it uses only 1% overnight (not plugged in) with WiFi on.
I'm not sure whether it's the ROM or the kernel that's really in control of how 'deep' the sleep is, but one of those two fixed it for me.

Internal or external ROM? Installing and tweaking takes so much time that IDK if I really want to reflash... haha.

Installing a CM7 build and a kernal to the internal memory works exactly the same as the phiremod, correct? Just load up the bootable CWM SD card, dump and clear all the necessary stuff, and then flash the ROM. Then, flash the kernal after the initial boot.

close enough?

Upvote 0
Custom boot animations are easy to install. They are stored in /system/media and have to be named bootanimation.zip.

Got any resources for phiremod type boot logos/loading animations?

Cm7 uses the T-Mobile theme engine or whatever it's called. So yes turning can be done with .apks.

Apparently the easiest way to theme icons and stuff is with: https://market.android.com/details?id=org.adwfreak.launcher&feature=search_result At least thats what my buddies over on DeviantArt tell me.

tim

Upvote 0

Honestly I am not that concerned with it. I turn it off when I am not going to be using it anytime soon anyhow. I wish the phone idle would stop using battery though.

Upvote 0
I just went back over my questions and I either answered them myself or they were answered for me. THANX GUYS!!

Now I really would like some boot logos and boot animations plz

And... how do I install boot logos. For instance, CM7 nightly #108 has an awesome green boot logo and says loading underneath or it says booting into recovery. I want my nook to function like that.

Is it the ROM or the SD card installer I used? I used SD installer v1.3 newest.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones