• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone acting stupid

tallbump

Jul 28, 2011
Ok, this is my wife's second phone. VM just snet her a new one a few weeks ago due to difficulties she was having.

Problems she is currently having:

-When trying to open up an app, for example facebook or yahoo, it will go to a black screen for a bit, then open the app

-Sometimes it just flat out freezes up

- A few times a day it will restart itself

-Starting getting notification that memory was low.

-Just today it deleted all of her pics on it's own.

-When turning phone sideways or right side up, sometimes (often) the display will not correct itself.

Some details.

There is an 8 GB card. All apps that can be moved have been. Although, it says it's a 7.41 card with 7.17 available.

Sunday I removed all apps, reformatted the SD card and put the apps back on.

The wife is getting ticked and is ready to throw the phone.:eek:

Phone is not rooted and won't be.

Help please

Try pulling battery and holding power button for 30 sec. Then reinstall battery and power up.

If that doesn't work. Go to menu/settings/privacy/factory reset. This will wipe all user data from the phone,all apps, all there data. This is kind of a last resort before resorting to exchanging it.

Upvote 0
In reality it just releases the energy stored in the capacitors.
For some reason it has a tendency to fix a lot of different performance issues. I don't know how it works, but it does.
I've seen it work more times than not.
For the issues your having it might not.
Capacitors can store a charge for years. The best way to make sure there is no residual juice in them is to discharge them. With a trace charge in the capacitors, any volatile memory may hang on to bad data. By discharging the capacitors using this method, you ensure that there are no stray 0's and 1's floating around in your phone's memory. That means when you do power it up, it will run the pure code, with no junk artifacts in RAM. The same methodology applies to PC's, but you have to disconnect the PSU. I've done this to fix a wonky BIOS, and it works. This is very subtle stuff, but you'd be surprised how effective it can be.

Upvote 0
Capacitors can store a charge for years. The best way to make sure there is no residual juice in them is to discharge them. With a trace charge in the capacitors, any volatile memory may hang on to bad data. By discharging the capacitors using this method, you ensure that there are no stray 0's and 1's floating around in your phone's memory. That means when you do power it up, it will run the pure code, with no junk artifacts in RAM. The same methodology applies to PC's, but you have to disconnect the PSU. I've done this to fix a wonky BIOS, and it works. This is very subtle stuff, but you'd be surprised how effective it can be.

This is the most comprehensive answer to that question yet. Thank you SO much for explaining it in such detail!!!

Upvote 0
Ok, so, yeah, that didn't work. Phone still locking up. Just got a call from the wife, said it was locked up for about 15 minutes. Also, frequently having a problem with apps saying they are not installed.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I believe the apps she is having problems with are on the SD card.

Can a card go bad? It had been working fine to our knowledge. I am not sure but I think that is the PNY brand, 8 gig

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones