• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone acts strange, loses contacts.. next day Gmail compromised! Cause??

Jersey Tom

Android Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2010
Huntersville, NC
Just a heads up and forewarning...

I have a Droid X. Not rooted. Coworker of mine with the Droid 1 had this same thing happen to him about a few weeks ago.

Last night my phone started acting up. Some of my app icons weren't appearing properly, my contacts list vanished, as did all of my pictures and videos. Tried restarting the phone and got stuck in and endless cycle of the "Droid" and red eye animations. Did a wipe & hard reset and this seemed to fix the issue. Phone automatically resync'd all the contacts, and all of my SD card content came back up.

Today, I was sitting at my desk at the office checking up on some emails and I was logged out for "suspicious activity." Couldn't log back in. Had to recover the account and change PW. Checked the login history, and saw all my browser and mobile logins from Ohio (where I live and work).. and one in the past 3 minutes from London, UK! Sure enough.. checked my sent mail and they had gotten off one email to the first 10 or 15 people in my contacts list. Just a spam link.

The fact that my phone went nuts shortly before my email was compromised, like my coworker, would seem to point that somehow this security issue is related to my phone.

Any ideas how or why this would be? Like I said, I haven't done anything crazy with the phone... and my passwords are generally 'strong'.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones