• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone advice

IanH

Lurker
Aug 23, 2010
Not sure if this is the right firum to ask this, but here goes!

I am looking for a new phone.

I want it to play movies and check E Mail
Perhaps play the odd game.
Even a phone call of two!

I dont care about image or brand names

Just a reasonable screen and good battery life.

Ian

Movies - Android, Apple, Windows or Blackberry. Android will have some of the larger screens for this.

E-Mail - Android, Apple, Palm, Windows or Blackberry. Just about every smartphone out there will do email these days

Games - Android, Apple, Windows or Blackberry. If you want console or PC type games then right now Apple will probably be the way to go. While I don't play too many myself, I read that Android is not up to Apple standards on games yet.

Phone calls - Android, Apple (?), Windows or Blackberry. They all do this to some extent it really depends on the carrier most of the time.

Reasonable Screen - Android, Apple, Windows or Blackberry. If you mean reasonable as in screen quality then Android is a great choice. The screens are the largest and have some of the best resolutions out there. If you mean reasonable as in size (As in, "Good lord that is a netbook not a phone") then there are smaller Androids as well as Blackberries.

Good Battery life - Blackberry. Sorry, but "good" and "battery life" do not generally fall into the same category when you are discussing smart phones. You sacrifice all the extras for having to have a plug handy at some point. There are tweaks that can be performed on many devices to provide much longer battery life though.

It really depends on the carrier you want to go with. All of them will offer a BlackBerry solution, but only Verizon offers the Storm. Verizon and T-Mobile will offer the largest selection of Android phones and of course At&t has the iPhone.

You can read around about many of the phones available for Android here in the forum and get an idea of the good as well as the bad. If you think you have it narrowed down, then I would suggest going into a store and playing around with one. Android really is a great OS and the phones just keep getting better and better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones