1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Phone almost full? No, but phone always says YES...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WimYogya, Oct 10, 2017.

1. WimYogya

WimYogya Newbie
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Very annoying that my smartphone warns me minimal 4 times per week that my device memory (16G) is almost full. Usually it states that 15,5-15,6G of my memory has been used.
    But that seems untrue - at least if I look at the specification of my user data:
    681 MB Images
    324 MB Videos
    5,87 MB Audio
    4,44 GB Apps
    6,25 MB Docs
    That is a total of roughly 5,5 GB.
    Endlessly I have uninstalled not-so-necessary apps, moved apps2SD after each new installation (VERY annoying that it is even necessary every 3 days!), deleted images and WA-threads/pix, cleaning the cache etc etc.
    It is never enough.

Can anyone tell me what IS that big unknown 'unfindable' amount of data that consumes 2/3 of my memory space???

Strange is also that I have a Samsung Tablet Galaxy Note with 16GB memory as well. It has MANY more apps but SELDOM says the space is almost full. Only the annoying apps2SD moves remain necessary from time to time. And cleaning the cache.

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    The internal storage in Android devices are divided into multiple partitions, most are dedicated solely to the operating system and one for the user's data and other files. We only have very limited access to those system partitions (unless your device is rooted) so perhaps what you're seeing is some warning message referring to one of those system partitions. Those size stats you listed are all items that are stored in that user data partition, that's the only one we have full access to as far as adding/deleting things. The issue being that's only the one partition and not necessarily revealing your phone's entire storage.
    Try installing this 'DiskUsage' app from the Play Store, it will give you graphical view of the different directories on your phone:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage&hl=en
    Of course there's still that issue as just why you're seeing that warning popup message. By moving apps and files around that's still just working within that user data partition. If you can at least see if there's something odd in the system directory that might point out a possible solution.

3. WimYogya

WimYogya Newbie
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Hi Svim,
    You DID it, thanks!!
    Downloaded DiskUsage and after I had understood what it does, I noticed that 2 apps that I do not even USE, used a lot of space: Chrome and Hangouts, together 7gb!

Since both are pre-installed apps, you can not even delete them (see more later) but I could still go back to the default installation and delete all data. After that enough space was freed to use my phone normally. THANKS!

Having said this I must say:
    1. I hardly understood what I was doing. I did not understand your description about the working of the various segments of Android Memory.
    2. From the beginning my experience is that Android memory/space/file system usage is extremely complicated for the non-computerized user. It feels as if someone who buys a car daily needs an expert to help him explain how to drive.
    3. One of the very annoying practices is that apps can NOT be installed on the SD card. You must move them manually (if movable) to create more space in internal memory. And after manual moves the app will AGAIN appear on the internal storage after an app update. Totally userunfriendly....
    4. About the pre-installed apps. There are minimum 15 apps that I do not need/want. They take up a lot of necessary space. But removing has been made impossible. It feels like buying a new cabinet. It is already half full of clothes and their is not much space left for your own clothes. But removing the pre-installed clothes has been made impossible.

Is Android working on improving these aspects/issues?
    I cannot imagine that I am the only customer who has these experiences....

Thanks for helping, anyhow!
    Wim

svim likes this.
  4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Glad to see you were able to straighten out your problem. Yeah, that was probably too much unnecessary details but that's just a typical issue with any open help forum -- some just people don't desire any background info, some gain a better level of understanding so it's easier to diagnose a problem.
    But whatever the case, it's really odd that those two apps had taken up that large an amount of storage space. It's not normal even if you were using them a lot, even more so that you didn't.

RohaWaRohaMenther likes this.