• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Answers Calls In Pocket

gtbensley

Feb 10, 2010
There are a couple threads already on this issue but they are old and dont seem to address the exact issue I am having.

The problem I am constantly having with my eris is that it tends to answer call by itself while in my pocket. This tends to happen while I am either on a mower or motorcycle and cant hear the phone ringing. It picks up by itself and its not until later that I find out someone called and my phone answered.

Is there any way I can change the process for picking up a call? Ideally I would like so that I have to press the actual hard green call button to pick up a call or have some sort of double lock on the screen.

Thanks for the help

Some users resolve that issue by experimenting with different ways of carrying the phone (given that you're already in the habit of locking the screen, being out of the dialer before locking, etc).

Screen facing out seems to help with many who carry the device in pants pockets. Shirt pocket carrying seems to have a lot less of the issue.

Mine is in a carrying pouch on my belt area so it is not an issue at all (finally found an old leather phone carrier that allows for stronger vibration feel).

Upvote 0
My only concern with carrying the phone with the screen out is that it is more likely to get broken that way. My job is pretty physically demanding and I constantly have things pushing into me. A holster on a belt may work though.

Thanks

The Eris is not exactly the most physically tough of cell phones, that's for sure. I've seen more Samsung Convoys and other "ruggedized" devices on job sites than anything else, but it always surprised me to see a carpenter or other construction type whip out an iPhone or Droid from their back pocket!

I often wonder how long their phone is going to last under those conditions. ;)

Anyway, I ended up using a leather pouch that came with my old Samsung Instinct. Best Buy has some that have pretty close to the same configuration and the Eris fits right in there.

There are also some hard cases that are made to transmit vibration better than others do. Verizon has some of those right in the stores.. about 19.99 I think. .. maybe 24.99.

Reactions: gtbensley
Upvote 0
haha yes, its not the most rugged phone there is. I have an otter box case for it which helps a ton. I go to school the other half of the year so it is worth it to me to have a smart phone. I really wish a company would look into making a worth while smart phone that was rugged enough for the out doors.

Upvote 0
I really wish a company would look into making a worth while smart phone that was rugged enough for the out doors.

I'm with you on that.

Well, the i-mate 810f has a life time warranty..

New rugged smartphone has lifetime warranty - Computerworld Blogs

i-mate_810-F.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones