• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone auto connects to network and streams to their google home device.

Bobbie M

Lurker
Dec 16, 2018
I am not sure what is going on, I know I auto connect to someone's network, which is fine, I'm allowed to use their network.
however, they also have a google home device (the pod thing) and lately I have been getting notifications that my phone is 'streaming' to that device, which i do not want. I do not know what it is streaming (one time it did say it was playing music) or if it is streaming what i am saying or etc...(Please tell me if any of you think it is streaming what i say into the phone or conversations/etc.) but I would like to be able to turn it off or prevent it from doing that.
I did some checking and most of the time things say to change settings in 'google home' app, but I don't think i have google home installed on the phone. This could be serious if I am sending them my music or if they are hearing my conversations though.

I am not sure what is going on, I know I auto connect to someone's network, which is fine, I'm allowed to use their network.
however, they also have a google home device (the pod thing) and lately I have been getting notifications that my phone is 'streaming' to that device, which i do not want. I do not know what it is streaming (one time it did say it was playing music) or if it is streaming what i am saying or etc...(Please tell me if any of you think it is streaming what i say into the phone or conversations/etc.) but I would like to be able to turn it off or prevent it from doing that.
I did some checking and most of the time things say to change settings in 'google home' app, but I don't think i have google home installed on the phone. This could be serious if I am sending them my music or if they are hearing my conversations though.
I have a Google home device (Insignia Voice Speaker) and sometimes when I ask the speaker to play music I get the notification on my phone. It isn't playing anything from your phone. It's just playing what was verbally asked by someone in the house to play. If you were to open say, Google Play Music, start streaming, then chose to cast it to the Home device it would make sense. In this set up it doesn't. :goofydroid:

I'm not sure why google does it like that as the Google home device is an independent thing. It doesn't need a phone to work (just to set it up and connect to Wifi).

Upvote 0
Those Google minis (pods) are connected through a Google account, if you want to give it access to media and your apps, etc. It is possible to have multiple accounts accessing the mini, or any of the Google speakers, but whoever controlled the primary account would have had to add you. Just connecting to the same WiFi network should allow you to stream to it, nor should it inform you if anyone else was. Did the person who let you use their WiFi add your gmail account to their home account?

Reactions: svim and Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Those Google minis (pods) are connected through a Google account, if you want to give it access to media and your apps, etc. It is possible to have multiple accounts accessing the mini, or any of the Google speakers, but whoever controlled the primary account would have had to add you. Just connecting to the same WiFi network should allow you to stream to it, nor should it inform you if anyone else was. Did the person who let you use their WiFi add your gmail account to their home account?

Upvote 0
I have a Google home device (Insignia Voice Speaker) and sometimes when I ask the speaker to play music I get the notification on my phone. It isn't playing anything from your phone. It's just playing what was verbally asked by someone in the house to play. If you were to open say, Google Play Music, start streaming, then chose to cast it to the Home device it would make sense. In this set up it doesn't.
goofy.png

I'm not sure why google does it like that as the Google home device is an independent thing. It doesn't need a phone to work (just to set it up and connect to Wifi).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. I don't think they added my email to the account but I do remember they had me streaming music from my phone to their sound system. i am hoping at most it was just sending me a notification, but i do not know how to tell, or how to disable it if i found out it was sending something else. This is actually as neighbor and this happened when i was on my back porch , still fairly far from their house but not insanely far . I do get their network wifi when i am on my back porch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones