• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone awake 100% time and battery drain with sd + wifi

boccaromel

Lurker
Dec 30, 2011
When certain condition is met, the phone goes to a state where it is awake 100% of time, even with screen off. The battery drains in less than a day with all hardware off (screen, wifi, blutooth, 3g, gps), sync off, no apps installed, etc. The only way to restore normal conditions is rebooting the phone. Steps to reproduce the problem:
  1. insert a microSD card with phone powered off
  2. power on phone
  3. turn wifi on (and eventually turn it off)

The problem persist even if I turn wifi off. There is no problem if I do not insert a microSD, or if I do not turn wifi on (no problem with 3g). Since condition is met, in battery history the "Android System" consumes more than 50%, and the Awake line is blue (on). The BetterBatteryStats app from Market shows 100% Awake time, and ~80% time with a kernel wakelock called "mmc_delayed_work". Eventually, the battery history Awake timeline goes black (off), but according BetterBatteryStats the awake state remains, and the battery drain continues.

The following steps did not help to solve the problem:
  • Turn wifi off
  • Turn wifi network notification off
  • Turn off all other hw (screen, blutooth, 3g, gps)
  • Set Airplane mode
  • Format microSD
  • Test different microSD models (1GB and 8GB)
  • Secure extract of SD in Android (but not removing it phisically, that cannot be made without removing battery in Galaxy R)
  • Turn Sync off
  • Uninstall all apps

The phone has the stock firmware from factory, I never changed it, nor rooted it. There is no new firmware in Kies for it. Phone info:
  • Model: Samsung Galaxy R GT-I9103
  • Carrier: Yoigo (Spain)
  • Android version: 2.3.4
  • Kernel version: 2.6.36.3-I9103XWKG8-CL423654 root@DELL136 #3
  • Compilation number: GINGERBREAD.XWKG8
  • PDA: I9103XWKG8
  • PHONE: I9103XXKG7
  • CSC: I9103FOPKG2
  • Build Info: Wed Jul 27 15:38:20 KST 2011

Note: The problem does not happen with a Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with Android 2.3.6.

Hi everyone!

I think you're having the same problem that I had. I found the way to fix it, If you understand spanish google "Problemas con la OTA Nexus One 2.3.3" and the first result contains the answer -as new user I can't post links-

Probably you don't understand spanish, so I'm going to try to explain the steps to follow.

Go to Settings/applications/manage apps/all and search for "media storage" or some app with a similar name -My cellpohone is in spanish so I don't know the proper name, sorry about that- Enter and then choose "clean/delete/erase data". Finally power off and on again the cellphone. It seems that sometimes the cache gets corrupted when you use SD cards bigger than 4GB.

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones