1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone 'awake' for no reason

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wearethestorm, Nov 21, 2011.

1. wearethestorm

wearethestorm Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 25, 2011
    London
    I've tried googling this and searching for related threads but haven't found much useful information, apologies if this has already been covered somewhere.

Anyway, my problem.. Sometimes when I check my battery usage it has decreased rapidly even though I haven't even touched it. This morning I woke up and checked my phone, the battery had decreased by over 20% in the night despite no usage, no apps were listed as having used the battery up- just the usual cell standby and phone idle. However, the bar that shows when the phone is awake showed that my phone had been awake for the whole time since I unplugged it from charging. I've attached a screen shot of what it looked like this morning...

Anyone else had the same issue before? Please direct me to another thread if someone else has already found a solution. A couple of people have suggested trying the 'spareparts' app (free) and others 'system panel' app (costs). Call me tight but I don't really want to pay for an app that I might only need for a day to find the problem, if it even finds it! I cleared the RAM when I woke up and I think that stopped it being 'awake', but obviously I can't keep doing that every hour just in case it's stuck being awake.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

(Oh, forgot to say my phone is unrooted, and on version 2.3.3.)

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. kejlyCZ

kejlyCZ Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    Male
    occupied
    Planet Earth
    There is a reason, some bad written app keeps the device unlocked. In my case Typeclock (clock widget) and Birthday widget keep the phone wake most of the time, so I deleted these.
    You can check the permissions in "PermReq" app (from Market) and look for apps which can unlock the device (probably WAKE_LOCK permission) or download "aLogcat" (free version is enough) and check the logs, which app keeps the device awake.

wearethestorm likes this.
  3. wearethestorm

None

Oct 25, 2011
    London
    Thanks for your help! I can't find permreq in the market but I'll try alogcat tonight..

4. kejlyCZ

None

Jun 6, 2010
    Male
    occupied
    Planet Earth

Attached Files:

5. wearethestorm

None

Oct 25, 2011
    London
    Ok I've downloaded both of those...

There are 57 applications with WAKE_LOCK permissions, so I'm not sure how to work out which of those is causing the problem!

And alotcat I don't really know how to interpret?

6. kejlyCZ

None

Jun 6, 2010
    Male
    occupied
    Planet Earth
    In aLogcat you'll see system log and have to find the logs by optomechanical way, read it and look for the logs saying something like "Disable keyguard", "Wakelock" and so on, it's more complicated way. I don't know if you see some "Wake" log in the logs, maybe the device will never be locked and also never unlocked, because the app keeps it unlocked all the time. But it's worth to try, start aLogcat, lock the device (Off button), after some time wake it up and see, if the device was waked up by some application after locked by Off button (this is the way I did it). I think in this case the device will be kept awake by aLogcat all the time, but you should get message saying something like "no need to unlock" or "no need to wakeup" if other app is trying to wake up the phone.
    The second option is to search Google for some of the application and look for "wakelock" problem related to them. In my case it was caused mostly by clock or alarm widgets, which tried to update alarms (there are more ways how to set alarm on different manufacturers devices, the Alarm clock always tried to update it by all ways, if one failed it tried it still again and therefore kept the phone awake).
    And the last way is to remove (or stop by taskmanager or applications manager) some apps and look, if it helps.

PS: if it's too complicated, you can make the log (level Verbose, format Long, html or txt) and try to PM t to me (or mail it to kejly at kejly dot cz) and I can look if I find the reason of your problem

wearethestorm likes this.
  7. wearethestorm

None

Oct 25, 2011
    London
    Thanks very much for your help with this! Whatever is causing this only seems to happen occasionally, so it's not like I can just leave the log running and it'll catch it. I think next time I notice the battery rapidly going down I'll start the log and hopefully catch the app that's causing it to stay awake.

I don't have any widgets, and the only alarm app I have is the stock one.. so that can't be causing the phone to stay awake.

Thanks for the offer, next time I have the problem I may get in touch!