• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone-based voice mail app needed!

DarkSky

Feb 22, 2010
I've done some looking and am surprised I haven't found anything!

Is there an app that when you get a call, it answers for you and stores the message from the caller? ie: a voicemail app that runs ON THE PHONE ?

My carrier only gives me 3 voicemail messages, so I figured there must be a TON of answering machine apps out there. If there are, I sure can't find them! All the ones I've seen so far are ones that send you a text when you get a voicemail on your carrier's VMB.

I'm just looking for a regular plain 'one answering machine app. Like the same kind of answering machine that you plug into your land line.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Reactions: d_b
I was under the impression that voice mail was standard on cell phones most of a decade ago. What sorry excuse for a carrier do you have?

lmfao,,,I was thinking the same thing who is your carrier DarkSky.

You guys get unlimited voicemails? I'm on Telus. They put a limit on the # of voicemails you can store. And everything is ear-based when it's remote. An on-phone app could list all your msgs, times, who from, etc... right on the screen.

I would like an on-phone answering machine so I have all my msgs at my fingertips.

NOTE TO ALL: Please only reply to this thread if you have information which can help (making comments on my carrier provides no help to me) - thank you!

Upvote 0
I am also on Telus. I looked for something like this in the past and did not come up with anything. But I think that I am better off without it. If you have limited voice mails, it probably means you have limited talk minutes. If a call goes to your phone to be recorded, you will be using up valuable minutes when people leave messages on your phone. I still have the habit of checking my voice mail from a land line. Also, if you get a lot of calls, I would think that your phone would be unusable as it takes the call and records it.

Upvote 0
I am also on Telus. I looked for something like this in the past and did not come up with anything. But I think that I am better off without it. If you have limited voice mails, it probably means you have limited talk minutes. If a call goes to your phone to be recorded, you will be using up valuable minutes when people leave messages on your phone

I don't think people talking on your voicemail counts as your minutes, but even if it did, the # of minutes would be neglible. Say you get a couple voice mails a day, each one only 10-20 seconds long on average. And if they're from your favorite (free) numbers, which most would be, you wouldn't get charged anyway.

Also, if you get a lot of calls, I would think that your phone would be unusable as it takes the call and records it.

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I have full operation of my phone even when in a voice call. But none of this would matter, because if I'm able to access my phone, I'd just accept the call anyway (ie: it wouldn't even GO to voicemail).

I work afternoons so I want my phone to answer and store all the early morning -> noon calls when I'm sleeping, as well as all the calls that happen from 3 til midnight when I'm at work. (I dont' have a cushion job where I can sit on my ass and talk on my phone)

Upvote 0
Can you have Telus totally disable your voicemail? If so, use a Google Voice number instead of your cellphone number. Not only can you get (virtually) unlimited voicemails, you can read them in a web browser (Google does the speech-to-text conversion).

I would, except I really want to keep my phone as is (my phone number setup included). Good idea though. First response that's been helpful :) (the rest have been people wanting me to explain myself for asking my question! GRR!)

I really can't believe there's no answering machine app out there yet. There's tons of digital answering machine hardware being sold in stores. Since a smartphone can do it all you'd think an app would have been out a long time ago.

Upvote 0
If call goes to telus voice mail no minutes are used. I would think that if your phone answered the call and recorded it minutes would be used.

If you have set hours (sleep and work) when you wish to record all calls you cou could call forward to another number with answering machine. Call forward should not use minutes.

Upvote 0
Isn't Google Voice a US only service, since Google bought out Grand Central which gave them US numbers? Or have they expanded to Canada?

I had an account that I used with my laptop to place voice calls using mic/speaker of it. That was over a year ago though, so maybe there's no more service in Canada. Dunno.

Anyway, I'm guessing from the replies in this thread, that there is no on-phone answering machine app for android then. Ok, case closed. :cool:

Upvote 0
Hullo Mail?

PS: nevermind, just saw it isn't supported in Canada..

THe kind of app I'm looking for would be supported anywhere, as it runs on the phone, and not an external service.

I've obviously done a terrible job in the original post explaining. I'll re-explain:

I'm looking for an APP (that runs on the phone) that, when detects an incoming call, ANSWERS the call (via pre-recorded msg), then STORES (on the phone via .wav or .mp3 file) the person's msg. Records the time of call, who from, etc..

I'm actually thinking of hiring someone to write this. Include features such as:

- different pre-recorded msgs according to incoming #
- only answer if incoming # is on whitelist
- do not answer if incoming # is on blacklist
- auto-run during different times (ie: hours at work, hours asleep, when movement over 5km/hr detected (driving))
- auto delete old msgs after X days / X msgs stored / X Kb/Mb stored
- view via audio or voice-to-text transcription
- send alert via voice-to-text

.. and I'm sure I'll probably think of some more things to include.

Reactions: d_b
Upvote 0
I've done some looking and am surprised I haven't found anything!

Is there an app that when you get a call, it answers for you and stores the message from the caller? ie: a voicemail app that runs ON THE PHONE ?

My carrier only gives me 3 voicemail messages, so I figured there must be a TON of answering machine apps out there. If there are, I sure can't find them! All the ones I've seen so far are ones that send you a text when you get a voicemail on your carrier's VMB.

I'm just looking for a regular plain 'one answering machine app. Like the same kind of answering machine that you plug into your land line.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
My very first Kyocera Marbl cell phone had this capability. It was an answering machine built right into my cell phone. I'm sure it was mostly hardware based with the obvious software support. It worked marvelously. I could even screen calls by listening to the person leaving the message in real time.

Here in Canada we pay the highest cell phone rates in the world. Voice mail is usually a paid for option costing 8 to 12$ per month.

I totally agree - an app like this is long overdue. Get to work boys you could make a fortune with this app !

Upvote 0
I canned voice mail since I couldn't find an app like this. I wanted the SIT tones or a perfectly profane/obscene opening to voicemail. Couldn't do that through TMO's VM service. TMO was too polite in my opinion.

If you can use a totally different text app as your default - as long as the carrier gets paid for the call, what you do with the incoming call isn't his concern. So the call goes through the carrier, then to a VM on your phone. You are still paying for the call, they can still monitor the call, but I guess the carrier has lost some control.

Upvote 0
There is an app in the play store called 'mizmo voicemail' that appears to fit the bill, but for some reason the store will not allow me to download the app....if anyone could download the free app and share it I would greatly appreciate it. You might need a rooted device with the modified play store installed. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
It's a year on since the original posting and I, too, find it amazing there is no 'answering machine' app to be found out there.

Here in the UK I am with provider Orange (now part of EE) because of signal issues in the area. However, they charge 36 pence everytime I dial in to voice mail. And they also charge for call forwarding (unless to another Orange number)which rules out using such services as Hullomail.

I'd even pay for such an app as clearly outlined by DarkSky.

Upvote 0
ANSWERING machine UPDATE :

I also need this hard ;

What i have ;

Playstore

1. Auto Call Answer (Devindia Infoway)
2. Answering machine (Elpislab)

Good trys but suck s ...

But funny i imported a recent phone (NEC Medias W N-05E) just new daul screen amazing.

And it have a integrated app that works PERFECT as answering machine PERFECT
Time of ringtone, Voice message you can make, and work super all calls in list, the messages you listened already other color, icon in status bar that message is recorded.

Just it is integrated app from Operator.

So technicaly app like this is no problem

Somebody can root this phone and copy this app ?

See for non believers ;
docomo MEDIAS W N-05E |

Upvote 0
ANSWERING machine UPDATE :

I also need this hard ;

What i have ;

Playstore

1. Auto Call Answer (Devindia Infoway)
2. Answering machine (Elpislab)

Good trys but suck s ...

But funny i imported a recent phone (NEC Medias W N-05E) just new daul screen amazing.

And it have a integrated app that works PERFECT as answering machine PERFECT
Time of ringtone, Voice message you can make, and work super all calls in list, the messages you listened already other color, icon in status bar that message is recorded.

Just it is integrated app from Operator.

So technicaly app like this is no problem

Somebody can root this phone and copy this app ?

See for non believers ;
docomo MEDIAS W N-05E |

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones