• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone battle!!! Hydro Life vs Galaxy Light

As the title implies I'm about to start a phone battle. I realize I will probably get biased opinions, BUT, hopefully I only get replies from experience, not "opinion" if that makes sense?

My wife and I have the LG Motion, but due to Metro shutting down we have to get new phones. We've been eyeballing the Hydro Life because according to the specs it seems like the best phone in this class. I see quite a few people saying "NO! Get the Galaxy Light instead!" Has anyone here used/tested BOTH phones? Do these people hold water to suggesting the Galaxy Light instead of the Hydro Life? Or is it because of the whole "Samsung" branding?

From what I can see, the only two things that the Galaxy Light has going for it are .2 higher Ghz cpu and LTE capabilities. The Hydro Life has more RAM, bigger screen, more battery life, water/drop resistant.

Again, I realize that I'm posting this IN the Hydro Life forum so opinions will probably be biased. However, I'm going to trust in the honor system and HOPE that whoever answers has either experience with both phones or hard facts (sources would be excellent) on why they feel one is better than the other. Thanks everyone!

As the title implies I'm about to start a phone battle. I realize I will probably get biased opinions, BUT, hopefully I only get replies from experience, not "opinion" if that makes sense?

My wife and I have the LG Motion, but due to Metro shutting down we have to get new phones. We've been eyeballing the Hydro Life because according to the specs it seems like the best phone in this class. I see quite a few people saying "NO! Get the Galaxy Light instead!" Has anyone here used/tested BOTH phones? Do these people hold water to suggesting the Galaxy Light instead of the Hydro Life? Or is it because of the whole "Samsung" branding?

From what I can see, the only two things that the Galaxy Light has going for it are .2 higher Ghz cpu and LTE capabilities. The Hydro Life has more RAM, bigger screen, more battery life, water/drop resistant.

Again, I realize that I'm posting this IN the Hydro Life forum so opinions will probably be biased. However, I'm going to trust in the honor system and HOPE that whoever answers has either experience with both phones or hard facts (sources would be excellent) on why they feel one is better than the other. Thanks everyone!
Metro isn't shutting down; maybe you meant that they are shutting down the CDMA? That would be the correct thing to have said.

Upvote 0
Haven't had the galaxy light but I had the galaxy exhibit that looks like its predecessor... If the older model is anything to go off, the screen will be dim and there won't be a lot of space for apps.. Hydro has a really bright screen that's easy to see outside. Along with the waterproof and drop proof I'll take my hydro for sure. I like not having a case on it, keeps it slim without worrying about it breaking, plus its cheap so I don't care about the cosmetics. Have also dropped it a few times and slid around on the screen but ZERO SCRATCHES which is also amazing.

I rarely use mobile data (about 200-300mb a month) so regular 4g is good with me but if you use a lot of data, get something with LTE because it is WAAAYYYY FASTER!

Reactions: Elrynon
Upvote 0
I apologize for not responding back and saying thank you for your input.

We ended up getting one of each. Hydro Life for me and Galaxy Light for her. Guess which one we're taking back? lol Don't get me wrong, she loves the Galaxy Light, but I guess there's a problem with Samsung Galaxy antennas that if you don't live in an area with great signal then the phone is constantly losing connection. On top of that once the phone gets down to 25%ish battery it COMPLETELY loses signal for some reason. No data/calls/texts/anything. The camera is much better on the Galaxy Light and for some reason even though the CPU on the GL is only .2ghz better than the HL and the HL has half a gig more of ram the GL scored better on Ubuntu/Quandrant. I'm not a huge fan of the "virtual sd" card on the HL because right now mine is full and my internal storage still shows 3gb left. However, there are some apps that are by default set to install to the SD card and since my virtual card shows "full" then it tells me I'm out of room. I'm also a little disappointed with there being no LTE on the HL BUT the speeds I get still aren't bad. When we were in strong signal areas the GL speed tests were usually 5x higher than the HL, but here's the funny part. Where we live is close to the edge of the coverage area and the HL gets better speed tests than the GL.

So, in conclusion, we're taking the Galaxy Light back and getting another Hydro Life.

Upvote 0
I have the lg motion 4g (LG-MS770) as well. I didn't want to leave it. I never heard any problems with it. I ended up buying the hydro and I rooted it. Still no overclock kernel but that's OK. It will come soon. I know it. My friend has the light and he says he likes mine more. The only real difference is that the light has NFC and a 1.4 GHz quad-core processor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones