1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone being hacked

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mycocozm, Oct 26, 2017.

1. mycocozm

mycocozm Lurker

Someone is remotely accessing my phone. Certain contacts' phone numbers are getting switched around or erased. Only certain numbers though, in an deliberate and targeted attempt to sabotage my life. I think I know who's behind it but can't prove anything. I did a hard reset and it still is happening. It's definitely happening remotely, no one touches my phone but me. Updated the latest android version. Not sure what I can do, any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Hunter stuart likes this.
  2. A bochur

A bochur Android Enthusiast

Are the contacts your only proof?
    That could also be delete from your Google contacts account online as long as it's all synced. So it's possible someone has access to your account.

That's besides the fact that there could be an entirely different reason why they're getting deleted.

I'll leave that for the pros

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Log into your Google account and check security settings. If you see alternate email addresses that you don't recognize or belong to the party you suspect, remove them. Then enable two-step verification and then change your Google password.

That should prevent any future incursions.

4. NeoZiggy

NeoZiggy Android Enthusiast

I use Google 2-step Verification. It sends me a text with a verification code anytime I try to log into my Google account via website.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  5. I got you bro,
    Dial *983*2567336# in the phone app
    and/or do a factory reset

6. asianrocker

asianrocker Android Enthusiast

turn off your sync. your welcome.

7. Someone is probably using USSD code to gain SU privilege.Change your Phone number.

8. A bochur

A bochur Android Enthusiast

How would that let someone gain access to a phone?

9. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Inquiring minds want to know @jesusfreak2da9s. Not the details but a general how. What does USSD code do?

jesusfreak2da9s likes this.
  10. You should Google USSD wap exploits

11. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

12. More info @ playstore:search,secret codes for Android devices

13. svim

svim Extreme Android User

The odds are that it's not a matter where your phone has been 'hacked' but rather someone has compromised your email account and is maliciously editing things like your contacts. Keep in mind your phone does not manage things like any of your online accounts -- your email, contacts, and calendar are maintained by whatever service you use (Google for Gmail, Microsoft for Outlook, Yahoo for Yahoo Mail, etc.) and are stored in their respective online servers. Your phone is simply on the receiving end of that info. They are the source, your phone just the receptacle.
    As for the references to things like 'USSD', that's a completely different matter. An exploit that can remotely do a Reset on your phone is not relevant at all to your actual problem, what you need to do is focus on that instead.
    It would help if you stated which email service you do use, but in the meantime you should definitely log into your account and change your password. A lot of services like Gmail also allow you view any recent, remote logins to your account so you can check that if someone has been accessing your account in a different state or country. Some also have 'restore' functionality so recent editing changes and accidental deletions can be restored.
    You might also want to do a manual backup of your contacts to supplement what's automatically being done online by your email service. The Contacts app on your phone should have an 'Export' feature and/or most email services have at least some kind of manual backup option.

14. MrHerbDaily

MrHerbDaily Well-Known Member

Off topic...

If you want to check if your phone is prone to the USSD attack, go to this url via webbrowser on your phone

http://dylanreeve.com/phone.php

If your dialer pops up automatically and displays your IMEI, then your phone is prone to the exploit.

Looks like our phones are not prone to the USSD exploit.

Hunter stuart and mikedt like this.
  15. SirMicBic

SirMicBic Lurker

now what if it just goes to the url?

16. SirMicBic

SirMicBic Lurker

what if it just goes directly to the url...sorry for doble reply

17. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Well if it just goes to the page and your IMEI doesn't appear, I guess your phone isn't vulnerable to this exploit.

MrHerbDaily likes this.
  18. Steve Perez

Steve Perez Newbie

Phone hacked... Mmmm, I think that every single one of the 18 cell phones that I have bought since October 2016, my ex-wife just hacked away at my phones like it was a game. I lost tons of files, data, photos, videos,.. well you get the picture. My life was miserable. I went from having the coolest, baddest phone to a flip phone.
    I decided to fight back in her arena and I found out how she did it. I found numerous apps that have pushed me to be ready for her attacks. And I paid for a few online Google courses.
    Of course, in your situation may be a bit different than all of mine, but I can tell you that Facebook, Gmail, Google Developer console, Google cloud console, are the tools my ex-wife had been using. You have to begin minimizing as much information, files, photos, contacts, as fast as you can and save all that to a different cloud than what you get from your browser. Next get a good system inspection app. One that does it all while you are NOT rooted. ( If you were rooted, a lot easier), an app like SD Maid by GitHub. Get the pro version.
    As for your WiFi, I used FING. Excellent app that shows you everything about your network. Oh, that reminds me, check your settings on your router too. That someone may be right in front of you.
    Antivirus/malware= I use es/et mobile security. This app found a tracker on my phone immediately after installation. Neither Norton or Malwarebytes even scanned it.
    That's a beginning for you. I can go into this more in depth, but I think you have a good starting point with the information everyone here has given you. I went through so many phones because I never believed getting hacked could ever happen to me. I was wrong.
    Good luck with your search..

19. Ericokay

Ericokay Lurker

Holy crap! That is freakin serious. I better remove those nude pics I took of my self. Don't worry, it was related to my weight loss journey that I'm documenting since last April.

Hunter stuart and Steve Perez like this.
  20. EMRYS7

EMRYS7 Lurker

21. EMRYS7

EMRYS7 Lurker

I don't think anybody's hacking your phone it's Google contacts, Google is aware of that part of there system deleting phone numbers but have since fixed the issue. This happened to me on several occasions, I don't use Google sync on my contacts any longer, I use another form of sinking contacts like Norton Mobile security, only set up two-step verification if you like Google notifying you every time you sign in, Google on many occassions is extremely aggravating. Nothing ever works correctly.

puppykickr likes this.

ZTE Zmax Pro

ZTE Zmax Pro