1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Phone blocked, how to unblock?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jbraviator, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Jbraviator

Jbraviator Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Male
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I bought an S3 off craigslist only to find out the previous owner stopped making payments so T-Mobile blocked the phone. I have talked with T-Mobile and they offer their condolences along with any phone I want for full price.:mad: Is there anyway to unblock it from T-Mobile or unlock it for someone else to use on AT&T maybe? Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    The original owner has to pay the remaining bill.

Which is why all these private deals should take place at the carrier's store - so they can check the phone and the account before you hand over any money.

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Yeah, anyone who does know how to clone a phone isnt gona be able to tell you on here man.
    Bad luck :(
    Personally id make the dude refund me

4. Jbraviator

Jbraviator Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Male
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with cloning a phone. I would love to make her refund me, but of course now she doesn't answer my calls and we met at a gas station so I can't stop by and say "hey". Are you telling me there's nothing I can do about it? I just want to know so I can either move on or do what I can to enable this one to work on T-Mobile or another carrier so someone else can use it. Thanks for the help.

5. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Id look out for her selling other things on craigslist and then try n trap her.
    theres really no other legal solution. Sorry :(
    I dont know how things work in the states but here in the UK, if a phone is imei/efs blocked by a carrier then its basically useless as a phone across the whole of europe

6. Jbraviator

Jbraviator Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Male
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Ok. That's what I was afraid of. I had heard that just because one carrier blockes and imei, it wasn't necessarily blocked on all carriers. I heard they were trying to make it that way though. I was hoping to unlock it and sell it to someone on AT&T. Oh well. :( I guess I have a 4.8" tablet to use on wifi and as a camera around the house now.

7. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Sorry man. You could be right and maybe the US carriers dont share databases yet. I dont know tbh.
    the s3 is a great wifi media/gaming device if thats any consolation lol. I just hope you didnt spend much on it. The seller should have advertised it as "bad EFS" :thumbup:

8. GTWalling

GTWalling Android Expert
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Alabama USA
    At the end of 2013 T-Mobile and AT&T started sharing there block list. Anything from Craigs list and E-Bay is buyer beware.

funkylogik likes this.
  9. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Go to the police and report the crime. It'd both larceny by fraud (against you) and probably fraud against the insurance company. And let them know which gas station she's using for her "business".

If you see her email or phone number on Craig's List again, go back to the detective assigned to the case and give him/her the information. Don't get involved - this gal may have a weapon in her cute little pocketbook.

You can also place your own ad in CL - I don't know if they'll allow it to stay, but something to the effect that so and so, with this phone number, ripped you off by selling you a phone that she then reported stolen. That'll quash her game.