• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone call problems, could use help

Hey guys, having a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. My roommate called me the other day, I answer and I can't hear him but I can hear myself echoing back through my phones speaker. He could hear me as well. Tried hanging up and calling again (twice) but the same thing each time. Rebooting the phone and battery pull didn't fix the problem.

I have recently done a factory reset because of syncing issues with my calendar, so that could be related. I'm guessing it is a software issue since there was sound coming from my phones speaker (my voice) so that's not blown and obviously my microphone is working. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? Tried searching but didn't come up with anything, but not exactly sure what search terms to use for this either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit to add, I'm running stock 2.1 OTA.

Hey guys, having a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. My roommate called me the other day, I answer and I can't hear him but I can hear myself echoing back through my phones speaker. He could hear me as well. Tried hanging up and calling again (twice) but the same thing each time. Rebooting the phone and battery pull didn't fix the problem.

I have recently done a factory reset because of syncing issues with my calendar, so that could be related. I'm guessing it is a software issue since there was sound coming from my phones speaker (my voice) so that's not blown and obviously my microphone is working. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? Tried searching but didn't come up with anything, but not exactly sure what search terms to use for this either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit to add, I'm running stock 2.1 OTA.

I recall having a problem like this before I rooted. I believe it's a common bug for the Eris. I think it was referred to as the silent call bug, but I can't recall.

If I remember correctly, rebooting my phone always temporarily solved the problem for me, but since you've already tried that, we'll have to see if someone else has an idea. It might be worth toggling airplane mode on and off. It works for some ROMs, it might work for you.

Reactions: formula4speed
Upvote 0
You checked the obvious in-call volume? Other than getting an app that can look at all of the volumes, I think that you can only set it while you are in a call. So, try calling somebody and (with the phone away from your face, so the display is on) press the vol up key to see what the volume is.

There is an app called Quick Settings that you can use (among other things) to look at all volume controls, including in-call volumes, rather than having to do it in-call.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bwx.bequick&feature=search_result

Upvote 0
I'll try the airplane mode thing to see if that helps. I did try to toggle the volume to no avail, speakerphone didn't help either.

If I can't get it to work maybe I can talk Verizon into letting me upgrade early, I think I'm 19 months into a 24 month contract.

As far as I know, you are eligible to upgrade at advertised prices at 19 months. If you wait until 20 months, you get one last "new every two" discount. After your next upgrade, you'll have to wait until 20 months to get advertised upgrade pricing (unless you talk them into giving you one.)

I'm at 18 months myself and I am upgrade-eligible.

Reactions: formula4speed
Upvote 0
I wasn't eligible for an upgrade for another 20 days but I was able to transfer an upgrade from my brother so I ordered an Inc 2 from Costco. Only $80 to upgrade which is worth saving me the hassle of dealing with this I think. Thanks for the assistance though, might try rooting the Eris and playing with some ROMs when my new phone arrives.

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem. I am able to call and the person I am speaking to can hear me clearly but I am unable to hear them. Sometimes the phone crashes the system and I have to remove the battery. If I use a task killer and freeze all applications switch back to main screen and place the call. Sometimes it works like it should.
I have rooted my phone from 2.1 to Froyo 2.2. Same problem. I am currently running the mod version of GingerBread. I have 3g service but no phone service.
Any help I would appreciate. I have service with Page Plus. I have a couple more roms in mind to try after I explore the newest version.

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem. I am able to call and the person I am speaking to can hear me clearly but I am unable to hear them. Sometimes the phone crashes the system and I have to remove the battery. If I use a task killer and freeze all applications switch back to main screen and place the call. Sometimes it works like it should.
I have rooted my phone from 2.1 to Froyo 2.2. Same problem. I am currently running the mod version of Honeycomb. I have 3g service but no phone service.
Any help I would appreciate. I have service with Page Plus. I have a couple more roms in mind to try after I explore the newest version.

This sounds like the old silent audio bug, which I think was fixed with last July's OTA update for the Eris.

You may want to see if a close-to-stock ROM, based on the March, 2011 OTA update, like xtrSENSE is better for you. One thing that I would ask, though, is what is your baseband version? Settings->about phone, it should be in there somewhere, maybe under software information.

I wasn't aware that there was a Honeycomb port for the Eris, and I would think it would be crappy if it exists anyway, since Honeycomb is tablet-only. Where did you find this ROM?

Also, I don't know anything about PagePlus myself, but I would think a close-to-stock ROM like xtrSENSE or xtrROM would be most compatible.

Reactions: txusa
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones