• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone calls over WiFi

Hi everyone, i'm looking for suggestions, comments, etc for a good app to use.

I looked for recent articles on this so i'm not double posting what someone else just asked, but the newest seemed to be from '11 which is pretty old in app years.

I have a Razr Maxx but my contracts up in May. Not sure whether i'll continue with Verizon as i'm always looking for a good deal and a friend of mine said T-Mobile allows voice calls over wifi automatically.

I've seen many different apps and am just not sure which to use.

I don't make many international calls, if any, but those do have some great plans for a lot of minutes. Groove IP looks good but seems like it gets a bit confusing as it doesn't support texts yet so it has to go through Google Voice and such.

Don't mind paying for an app if it'll save me money in the long run as I already went to about 320 minutes of my 450 minutes a month plan.

I have Wifi at home, work and such so the few places I don't i'm ok with.

Thank you!

Brian

Hopefully soon you can use your Hangouts app on Android to make calls using Google Voice without using minutes. Somehow, the apple Hangouts app can already do this. It will work on wifi or cell coverage.

Meanwhile, you can use hangouts in your browser on a computer to make calls via your Google Voice number when you are at home

Reactions: NJD_fan
Upvote 0
I did that earlier and it worked pretty well! Thank you gtbarry!

30 minutes saved from my mobile minutes. I was wondering how I would deal with echo.

I was talking with Liberty Mutual and the lady said she could hear me fine, but she had an echo of herself.

Don't know if there's anything I can do with that since it was on her end but because it was through the computer?

Upvote 0
I've seen many different apps and am just not sure which to use.

I don't make many international calls, if any, but those do have some great plans for a lot of minutes. Groove IP looks good but seems like it gets a bit confusing as it doesn't support texts yet so it has to go through Google Voice and such.

Don't mind paying for an app if it'll save me money in the long run as I already went to about 320 minutes of my 450 minutes a month plan.

I have Wifi at home, work and such so the few places I don't i'm ok with.
Groove IP works perfectly, and it does now support texting as well. Although it requires a Google Voice account, it does not require the actual Google Voice app be installed on your phone.

Upvote 0
I have used both Talkatone & GrooveIP both paid versions & they were horrible for me. What I did was setup a SIP account with my Google Voice account at simonics.com/ & put the SIP Info I received from there into Zoiper & have not had an Issue with echoing or anything else. There isn't 100 diff settings u have to get just right like GrooveIP or Talkatone. I can even make pretty good calls over 3G if I want. I setup the sip originally so I could use my analog cordless phones with my G-Voice cause it my Business #. The Linksys ata I bought never worked the greatest with my internet setup so I ended up buying an Obihai 202 & it is awesome . Worth every penny I paid plus some. I can do Music on hold, forward from 1 phone to another, I have 2 G-Voice #'s setup & ring both phones plus a bunch of other killer features. So if anyone wants to use their G-Voice # for a home phone & you have a good internet connection buy an Obihai they are easy to setup. Took me 5 minutes & I had to get my device released cause it was still attached to the old account(Info wasn't in it). My phones ring every time & Haven't had an issue with call Quality at all. Obihai.com

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones