1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Phone calls/SMS over wifi...is there an app for that?.

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by bluebird48, Jul 31, 2011.

1. bluebird48

bluebird48 Member
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    Hi

I'm fairly new to Android phones and am looking for a free, lite or ad-supported app that supports both phone calls (landline and mobile) and SMS over pure wifi and does not require both parties to have the software installed on their phones. I tried Skype but ran into a lot of issues.

Can anyone recommend an app for this?.

Thanks, BB

Advertisement

2. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Occupational Health Advisor
    Kildare, Ireland
  3. bluebird48

bluebird48 Member
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    Definitely lots of good stuff. The thing is that most (if not all) of them seem to require that both parties have the app installed on their phones. Is there an app that does not have this requirement (similar to Skype)?.

Thanks so much for your help!.

4. Goreygirl

None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Kildare, Ireland
    Fring and Nimbuzz are popular ones; like Skype the call costs to normal lines are minimal and you just load up credit.

5. bluebird48

bluebird48 Member
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    Thanks, I noticed that myself and the two you mention look really good (especially Nimbuzz). Do you know if Nimbuzz has free national calling/SMS and if it requires that both parties have it installed on their phone?.

I think Skype only charges a fee if you make international calls and there is no requirement that it be installed on each phone.

6. Goreygirl

None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Kildare, Ireland
    Don't use them personally as I use Skype PC for my international calls.

But if you click on them in Market they give you a full explanation of their services and costs.

7. bluebird48

bluebird48 Member
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    I wasn't able to determine if both parties were required to have Nimbuzz installed from the information I read on the Market so I was wondering if anyone here knew (from personal experience).

UPDATE: well, scratch that. It looks like it costs money to make landline and mobile calls. With Skype, these appear to be free except that I am unable to get it working properly.

Thanks again, BB

8. Goreygirl

None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Kildare, Ireland
  9. bluebird48

bluebird48 Member
    None

Jul 23, 2011
  10. krazr

krazr Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    I hate to insult anyone's intelligence but why aren't you all using Google Voice??? It's absolutely free... Anyone with a Gmail account can have one and you even get to pick your own number. You can then use it to call while on wifi for free to anyone in the states plus recieve phone calls to whatever phones you wish to forward your calls to. Same goes for texting and it even has voicemail as well that you can set it up. The only drawback is that you can't do video on it yet to my knowledge but txt'ing and voice is what it's meant to do. Hope that helps

11. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Oh, the irony... You might want to be careful starting posts with those words -- especially when your own post is incorrect. :p

Because GV isn't a VOIP solution. It places calls using voice minutes, not WiFi. I'm not sure why this misconception is so common. The facts are readily available at the GV site for anyone to review at any time.

You don't need gmail to use Google Voice. You do need a Google account though.

Drawbacks depend on the person. For many, having to switch to a GV number to use most of GV's features is a drawback. Not being able to use standard messaging apps without enabling SMS forwarding is a drawback for some. For me the lack of MMS (not just video) isn't a drawback. Never assume that your own preferences are universal.