1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone contacts and Google contacts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by notg2009, Jul 29, 2013.

1. notg2009

notg2009 Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to Android and need some help with contacts. I recntly switched from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 4.2.2 not rooted.

I understand that when you create a contact you can choose phone vs google vs etc. but cannot choose both. For instance if I have a phone contact and want it to sync to both my PC AND GOOGLE, then I have to remake the contact, choose google and then join those 2. considering that I have 300+ contacts and adding more every day, is there an easier way to do this?:thinking:

I've searched forums but have not found a clear answer to my question.

Thanks for the help.

NOTG2009

Advertisement

2. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Male
    Seattle
    Why would you want it both places? Your Google contacts will be available on your phone.

3. notg2009

notg2009 Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2013
    I would like to be able to back them up to my PC as well...have had many nightmares with contacts before!!!

4. killajoe

killajoe Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 21, 2011
    Male
    musician
    Pontiac, Michigan
    Use kies works great for syncing contacts to your computer

5. notg2009

notg2009 Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2013
    Kies Does not copy google contacts to pc :( it only backs up phone contacts

6. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Male
    Seattle
    I have a program on my PC (Go Contacts Sync Mod) which syncs my Google contacts to Outlook. There are a lot of programs which do that.

Sync Android/Droid with Outlook/Exchange

(I have no idea how current that website is.)

7. Don S

Don S Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 30, 2009
    Male
    Bayville, NJ USA
    If it were me... I would get on the PC and add the contacts you need to Google contacts site ON YOUR PC here which is much easier and quicker to do than on your phone.

Now I know 300 contacts is not going to be quick anywhere, but look at it this way: You only have to do it once to your PC - maybe an hour or 2 of work - and then they will always be available to you always, everywhere, and on every future Android device automatically with no further input from you.

Lastly, I wonder if anyone knows a way to just Export the Phone contacts as some kind of file, which can then be imported on the PC to Google Contacts. It looks like you can import a CSV or vCard file into Google contacts on the PC ..

Edit: The post just above mine has a suggestion for importing/converting on the PC ..

8. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Male
    Seattle
    One more thing, in Contacts, if you pull up the options page there is an import/export area. It allows import from and export to both USB storage and the MicroSD card. For some reason it only allows in import from the Sim card.

9. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Actually, importing all those contacts to SD card/Internal storage is the fastest and easiest way to copy to PC. It creates a CSV file that can be imported to Google Contacts.

Note:If you don't have an SD card, just use the internal storage to save the CSV file. The file name will be something like 00000.vsf.

Once you transfer them to Google, as mentioned above, you will never have to add them again. Just make sure you select where you want new contacts saved to.

10. Midiman

Midiman Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Male
    Professional musician, photographer, computer prog
    Upstate, NY
    If you create both accounts, the contacts from both accounts should sync and be joined. That's how it worked on my S2 anyway. I've since eliminated everything but the Google account so now everything is in one location. I have no need to have separate work and personal accounts.

11. notg2009

notg2009 Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2013
    Thanks for all the comments. I decided to go with google as my main contact storage and sync place and exported a VCF to the memory card for safe keeping :)