• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

phone contacts? ...cant find the answer im looking for

wonka816

Dec 6, 2009
im finally giving in and planning to root my phone and enjoy 2.1 but all the contacts ive entered ive saved as phone contacts and i would like to keep them after i wipe the phone. ive tried searching but everything i find seems to only be about converting my phone contacts to google contacts which i dont want to do. is their any way to save my phone contacts and then sync them back with my phone after i root and have them still be phone contacts?

there are apps for making them google contacts, as well as some to back them up. The one I used exported your contacts to an excel file, which I then imported into gmail. At which point, they became google contacts and synced back to my phone. As far as I know, there's no real difference between them being phone and google contacts, except that google contacts sync back to the google cloud

Upvote 0
I can't remember for 1.5, but on 2.1 you can hide contacts that do not have phone numbers.

open People, Menu, View, check "Only contacts with phone number"

also in 2.1 you can export your contacts to the SD card and then use gmail to import your contacts into the cloud.

people, menu, import/export.

well that solves my problem. i suppose ill just convert and sync my contacts with google then when i put 2.1 on there i shouldnt have a problem

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones