1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone contacts vs. gmail contacts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rick Morrison, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Rick Morrison

Rick Morrison Newbie
    None

Jan 30, 2012
    I'm new to Android and have a million questions. When I got my new Bionic Verizon transferred my contacts from my Blackberry. Is there any way to sync those contacts with my wife's Bionic?

I read that if I transfer my contacts from Outlook to gmail google will not upload any contacts without email addresses and I have quite a few of those. I know if I upload contacts into gmail then there would be no problem syncing the two. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

Advertisement

2. Alex Wekell

Alex Wekell Newbie
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    IT Professional
    Monterey CA, U.S
    Well if you have the contacts on your phone you can simply export them and copy the Vcard file to your wifes bionic and then she will have all your contacts (if I understand, that's what your asking).

Go to Contacts, then menu, then manage contacts, and then export your contacts to your SD card. Then copy the .VCF file to your wifes bionic SD card and then go to import contacts from: SD Card.

3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    You can go to your Gmail contacts and export them to a .csv file. You can then go to your wife's Gmail account and import the that .csv file.

I have contacts in Outlook that were imported into Gmail and then synced to my Bionic that do not have e-mail addresses. I never heard of that as a problem.

... Thom

4. Rick Morrison

Rick Morrison Newbie
    None

Jan 30, 2012
    Thanks for your reply. She already has the contacts in her phone but if she or I add or change something is there a way to keep them in sync ( like gmail calendar does)?

Also, does the dialer always use the phone contacts or can it use gmail contacts. Seems to me like it's kind of redundant to have two different contact lists.

5. Rick Morrison

Rick Morrison Newbie
    None

Jan 30, 2012
    Maybe I misread something about the contacts without email addresses. If I upload the Outlook contacts (via the csv file) is there a way to use that contact list with the phone dialer?

6. whompus60

whompus60 Newbie
    None

Nov 10, 2011
    I exported my contacts as csv file. Then uploaded the csv file to google docs to remove some the wife didn't need. Also edited some info for adding email and physical address and such. Made copy back to computer. Then went to her gmail account and imported from the csv.

The contacts are just there that way. It kinda had me confused at first as well. Mostly because there seemed to be 3 or 4 ways to sync contacts. vzw sync, motocast sync, and google all had me thinking what the hell.

7. Rick Morrison

Rick Morrison Newbie
    None

Jan 30, 2012
    I guess what I really want to do is transfer the contact list in my Bionic into gmail. Whats the easiest way to do that?

8. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    What you do is get what you want to the contact list in Gmail and it will then sync with your Bionic. You get to control which directions it syncs.

If you want to have two phones share the same contacts then have both of them sync to the same Gmail address.

... Thom

9. whompus60

whompus60 Newbie
    None

Nov 10, 2011
    1. Open the Applications tray
    2. Select My Accounts
    3. Tap on the Google account [​IMG] you wish to adjust
    4. You will be able to check or uncheck the syncing of Gmail, Calendar, and Contacts [​IMG]
    5. Press Menu hard key, [​IMG] Tap on Sync Now to sync all checked Google applications.

10. Rick Morrison

Rick Morrison Newbie
    None

Jan 30, 2012
    So, if I add my gmail account to her phone then everything could sync to my (our) calendar, contacts, etc. Would I need to delete her gmail account? If there are 2 gmail accounts on one phone how would one choose which one to sync to? Would this create other problems?

11. BobbyL

BobbyL Newbie
    None

Jan 2, 2010

I have two gmail accounts attached to my device with no problems. They sync to the device not to each other, which is the way I wanted it.

12. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

If your contacts are in Gmail (check from a PC) then you can program your wife's phone with a secondary google account, namely yours, and just sync contacts. Then changes will show when either of you makes changes to a contact on your list.

We do something similar at our company with Exchange sharing contact lists. Make a change from anywhere and everyone gets the update.

13. kickbutkuss

kickbutkuss Member
    None

May 9, 2012
    Georgia
    Just a guess but maybe you can save the.vcf file to your laptop, desktop and upload the file to the account from there??

14. kickbutkuss

kickbutkuss Member
    None

May 9, 2012
    Georgia
    Like this... :D

15. Captmikee

Captmikee Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2012
    What is the process for getting the .vcf file from the phone to the laptop?

16. goldz28

goldz28 Android Enthusiast
    None

Plug the usb cable from phone to computer. Find the file on computer and move it from your phone to computer.

Found this just now.

Importing vCard files - Gmail Help

17. OhBe1

OhBe1 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 10, 2010
    Male
    Teacher
    Kansas, USA
    My wife just joined the Android world, and we use this method for our calendars. Both phones use both Google accounts, but we only sync each other's calendar. Seemed to be much less work than some of the other methods discussed, plus we get updates and changes made to both calendars.