1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone corrupts images as I look at them

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Morat, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have set my camera to store to external SD card to protect me from losing images in the event of the phone dying, but I've got a big problem.

I just connected my phone by USB to KIES and tried to open some photos by browsing through windows explorer. Only a couple of the images would load in Windows picture viewer. I then transferred the whole DCIM folder to the computer and tried to open them in GIMP - the same few images worked but the others showed as corrupted :(

Then I disconnected the phone (pressed home to cancel the KIES connection) and tried to browse the gallery from the camera app. Most of the photos just showed a triangle and ! warning symbol, but when I scrolled through to photos I hadn't viewed before, I saw the photo for an instant and then it was replaced by the warning symbol. I couldn't then bring the photo back. The Gallery app was corrupting the files AS I VIEWED THEM!

I'm seriously upset by this, since I've been recording my son's progress over his first two months and this phone has destroyed a whole load of photos.

Does anyone have any advice? The SD card is a Kingston 32Gb.

thanks,
    Morat

Advertisement

2. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member

I used to have these problems with my HTC Desire, and although you had to save to SD on that phone, I put my problems down to a faulty SD card as all the videos and photos I have taken and stored on my SGS2 have been fine.

I can understand how upset you may be but I would not immediately blame the phone.

What I would do though, is to try and find a program to restore lost or damaged files, as you would be surprised how well some of them can work.

I used one called Recover98 to recover an entire corrupted camera memory card for a friend recently, after the memory card seemed to completely delete them, but they were all recovered no problem at all. It seems to be quite expensive now, but I would imagine there are other good programs which will help you out :)

Good luck

Biff.

3. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

I'm trying a program called Photorescue right now, and then I'm going to test the %%$

4. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast

I have the same problem and I was going to post a similar thread. I am almost certain it's dodgy sd card because I am also getting corrupted PDF files, excel files and recently a wav file was corrupted when I skipped forward while listening to it! I have also switched the camera to store on internal (11.5Gb phone storage).!!

5. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

None of the files were recoverable, and some other files had also gone - so my experience does seem very similar to DaveSyd's. I'm running H2testw right now and I have opened a case with ebay/paypal.

6. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast

You didn't get it from eBay user 'happy*Christmas' out of Singpore selling 'Kingston' SD Cards did you? That's what mine is?

7. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

Nope, mine was from a UK seller. I have been offered a full refund if I return the card. I'll definitely be using recorded delivery for this one!

8. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert

Condolences.
    You really can't go past SanDisk

9. Ofernicus

Ofernicus Lurker

And guess what? It's on a SanDisk... :mad:

10. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

I did get a refund, but make sure you return the card by recorded delivery with a tracking number so you can prove you did send it back.