• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone corrupts images as I look at them

Morat

Apr 9, 2010
Hi,
I have set my camera to store to external SD card to protect me from losing images in the event of the phone dying, but I've got a big problem.

I just connected my phone by USB to KIES and tried to open some photos by browsing through windows explorer. Only a couple of the images would load in Windows picture viewer. I then transferred the whole DCIM folder to the computer and tried to open them in GIMP - the same few images worked but the others showed as corrupted :(

Then I disconnected the phone (pressed home to cancel the KIES connection) and tried to browse the gallery from the camera app. Most of the photos just showed a triangle and ! warning symbol, but when I scrolled through to photos I hadn't viewed before, I saw the photo for an instant and then it was replaced by the warning symbol. I couldn't then bring the photo back. The Gallery app was corrupting the files AS I VIEWED THEM!

I'm seriously upset by this, since I've been recording my son's progress over his first two months and this phone has destroyed a whole load of photos.

Does anyone have any advice? The SD card is a Kingston 32Gb.

thanks,
Morat

I used to have these problems with my HTC Desire, and although you had to save to SD on that phone, I put my problems down to a faulty SD card as all the videos and photos I have taken and stored on my SGS2 have been fine.

I can understand how upset you may be but I would not immediately blame the phone.

What I would do though, is to try and find a program to restore lost or damaged files, as you would be surprised how well some of them can work.

I used one called Recover98 to recover an entire corrupted camera memory card for a friend recently, after the memory card seemed to completely delete them, but they were all recovered no problem at all. It seems to be quite expensive now, but I would imagine there are other good programs which will help you out :)

Good luck

Biff.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem and I was going to post a similar thread. I am almost certain it's dodgy sd card because I am also getting corrupted PDF files, excel files and recently a wav file was corrupted when I skipped forward while listening to it! I have also switched the camera to store on internal (11.5Gb phone storage).!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones