• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

magik

Aug 21, 2011
Did a factory reset because phone was being a bit slow...... now I have no service. Tried my sim in another telus phone and its fine. Tried hard resetting again and still dead. I've had this for one week, this is pretty pathetic.

any advice before I return it?

Did a factory reset because phone was being a bit slow...... now I have no service. Tried my sim in another telus phone and its fine. Tried hard resetting again and still dead. I've had this for one week, this is pretty pathetic.

any advice before I return it?

When u said ur phone is dead, did u mean that you cant even turn it on or just that you aren't getting any range? Is your phone rooted?

Upvote 0
it still turns on.... but once it starts up....the sim card locks up....

i go to settings > location > set up sim and I cannot enter my 4 pin digit to unlock it.. it says " -1 attempts remaining". It does get service automatically like 20 minutes later, but anytime I restart the phone, the same problem persists

and no my phone isn't rooted anymore...but I did attempt that a few days ago and unrooted because it made my phone slower

UPDATE: I contacted Telus and they said it has nothing to do with their network =.=. I dont know why theres a delay of 15 minutes to connect to the network everytime i reboot the phone. The only solution out right now is to not turn the phone off

Upvote 0
Yeah I must have screwed something up which led to the problem with the sim card locking up for 15mins at the phone bootup, I used z4root for it. Shouldn't the factory reset have fix that though?

Anyways, i re-rooted it today using gingerbreak and its doing fine, no slowdowns whatsoever, but I'm still trying to figure out why it's locking my sim when I reboot. Any idea why it's doing that?

Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Yeah I must have screwed something up which led to the problem with the sim card locking up for 15mins at the phone bootup, I used z4root for it. Shouldn't the factory reset have fix that though?

Anyways, i re-rooted it today using gingerbreak and its doing fine, no slowdowns whatsoever, but I'm still trying to figure out why it's locking my sim when I reboot. Any idea why it's doing that?

Thanks for the help

Well, I've never had to face this issue before, but since you are getting service after 15 minutes, I think theres nothing wrong with your phone hardware. After you rooted, did you remove any system apps? Its possible you removed an important one.

Flashing a new firmware/ROM onto your phone might fix the issue. If you have already backed up your stock ROM, then flash that. Otherwise, you can download stock ROMs from several sites, just google for it. You can also install a custom ROM.

If you dont have a backup and if you haven't flashed before, then I recommend undoing the root, then taking your phone to an LG service center.

Upvote 0
No I don't think I removed any apps on the phone after the first rooting.

What roms would you recommend for the flashing?

Thanks!

If you haven't flashed before, I recommend taking your phone to the serivce center.

If you have a backup of your stock ROM, then flash that.

If you dont have a backup of your stock ROM, or if you want to flash a custom ROM, then I recommend this ROM by mik_os which is quite popular.

Upvote 0
Is there a difference between the stock rom and a factory reset?

I notice when I do a factory reset it's the same as whatever I have right now, the version still says 2.2.1 with software v10s.

I'm not going to attempt a flash with 3rd party roms cause Telus locks and cripples their phones pretty hard. and I have no experience with flashing either. So I rather wait for lg to release gb 2.3.

anyways, I'll probably have it sent to LG to see what they can do with it. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Is there a difference between the stock rom and a factory reset?

What is firmware?

Firmware is the software that is installed in the ROM of the phone. It is what allows us to interact with the phone.

So how is firmware different from the OS?

Firmware is the OS, its just modified to suit our phone.

Whats a ROM?

Since firmware is installed in the ROM, its commonly referred to as ROM by developers, or in other words, we call whatever is installed in the ROM as ROM. Its actually a wrong usage, but, ......

What is a stock ROM?

A ROM that is preinstalled a phone or which is developed by the manufacturer is called a stock ROM.

What is a factory reset?

By doing a factory reset, you clear the internal memory (not all of it, the system apps or the preinstalled apps will still be there) and so we loose all our contacts, settings, user installed apps and spplication data. So, the phone goes back to how it was when the ROM was first installed. In the case of a stock ROM, it goes back to what it was like when we first booted the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones