• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone dies quickly

Alexguy891

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
For some reason I find my phone dropping to below 20% in just 2-3 hours. I don't do any gaming or heavy usage, and most of the time my phone brightness is half way or lower. I only really use Snapchat, YouTube, Instagram, and Messages and I don't understand why my phone keeps dying so quickly. I've also attached a screenshot of my battery usage page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170715-172109.png
    Screenshot_20170715-172109.png
    382.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_20170715-172117.png
    Screenshot_20170715-172117.png
    407.7 KB · Views: 122
For some reason I find my phone dropping to below 20% in just 2-3 hours. I don't do any gaming or heavy usage, and most of the time my phone brightness is half way or lower. I only really use Snapchat, YouTube, Instagram, and Messages and I don't understand why my phone keeps dying so quickly. I've also attached a screenshot of my battery usage page.

Please provide phone name with OS version and age of the device. This information will help members of AF help you analyze the problem and hoping helping you fix it.

Upvote 0
Using the phone constantly will drain the battery a lot faster than standby. While this should be a "well, duh" moment, it's worse when the screen is in use. I can't speak for snapchat, but youtube requires the phone to be awake and the screen on. I've noticed that my battery life is significantly reduced when using apps that keep the screen on, whether it's a game or reddit or facebook or or or...

The fact that your screen shows 20% usage tells me/us that is the cause of your battery drain, coupled with the other apps that you're using which have to use the other phone functions. My battery is at 14.5 hours usage, and the screen is only 11% with minimal app usage otherwise. When I'm using it more frequently/consistently, it's not uncommon for the battery to need to bump charged at about 8 hours.

Upvote 0
Try restarting your phone. Uninstall apps you don't use. Disable any built-in apps you don't use. Download Greenify, it hibernates apps that are running in the background (no it's not a crappy cleaning app, it actually does work.). Download Pixel Filter, it turns off some pixels on your screen to save battery and it works really well. Remove unused widgets from your home screen and if you aren't using a custom launcher then try out Nova Launcher. It's more efficient than TouchWiz.

Upvote 0
Also are you talking about Facebook Messenger? If so then uninstall it and try to find a third-party client for it. Facebook Messenger is notorious for draining a TON of battery and consuming way too many system resources.

Upvote 0
Greenify isn't necessary on this phone (with Nougat), as it already has a built in app monitor that can sleep apps that are not being used.

Your screenshots tell the story- you're watching a lot of youtube and using snapchat. Both of these keep the screen on during use, and both are actively accessing data during use. IE- change your usage or understand the trade off.

Reactions: today
Upvote 0
Greenify isn't necessary on this phone (with Nougat), as it already has a built in app monitor that can sleep apps that are not being used.

Your screenshots tell the story- you're watching a lot of youtube and using snapchat. Both of these keep the screen on during use, and both are actively accessing data during use. IE- change your usage or understand the trade off.
Another option, if the screen has to be on, is to use Pixel Filter. It applies a screen overlay that turns some of the pixels on your screen off. It's saved me a TON of battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones