1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone Differences: Optimus V vs. Thrive

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bammerman, May 24, 2011.

1. Bammerman

Bammerman Lurker

Hi folks -- greetings, I am new to the forum.
    I have been using the Optimus Thrive for about a week. I am reasonably satisfied but am considering moving from my AT&T Go Phone account to Virgin Mobile. PLEASE NOTE: this thread is NOT about which plan is better! PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME WHY YOU THINK ONE CARRIER'S PLAN IS BETTER/CHEAPER THAN ANOTHER! I only asking which PHONE is better. And so my question: here's what I understand are the major differences between the two phones:

V is CDMA, Thrive is GSM.
    V's screen shows "millions of colors" while Thrive's screen shows "thousands." (Does this make any difference? How?)
    V has a soft-feel black rubber case while the Thrive has a silver plastic case.
    V has a dedicated camera button on the side of the case while the Thrive does not (uses a software button on the touch screen).

These are the only differences I'm aware of between the two phones. Are there any others? (I know the Thrive probably comes with more carrier "bloatware".)

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. greg4android

greg4android Android Enthusiast

the THRIVE hasn't been out that long (less than a month since national ads, and it appeared in stores).....

The THRIVE would be ok if it wasn't on AT&T suck a&& network. I mean come on, the data plans for this phone are a total joke!
    What's the biggest data plan for this phone? 500MB ?

why in the world would AT&T put such a nice phone on a GO-PHONE....
    You can't enjoy a nice phone like this without a sufficient data package to support it.

$25 FOR 500MB
    $5 for 10MB
    $15 for 100MB

You could eat up 100MB in a matter of half an hour just simple browsing and checking email..

At this rate of data charging, heck, get a contract phone (or get an Optimus V)....

Of course, I hope you have great SPRINT coverage since virgin Mobile runs off Sprint

3. Bammerman

Bammerman Lurker

Greg, thanks for responding, but please re-read my post. If you know the answer(s) to my question, I'd be grateful for an informed reply.

4. micahdiablo

micahdiablo Well-Known Member

Idk much about the Thrive because it is new but
    The colors matter...millions of colors will make the screen a lot more brighter and saturated which is a good thing vs thousands will look rather dim and dull

CDMA VS GSM...if you are an At&t customer and you are in 3G coverage and you plan to use Data(surfing the web) and talking on the phone at the same time then that maybe a big deal to you

CDMA...you can only use one of them at a time...Data then voice or Voice then Data.

Personally, GSM is not so important in US unless you travel all over the world.

Cant say much about rubber feeling or plastic but the V has a great feel to it.

The camera shutter button...I'd take a phone that has one over one that doesnt. It's good to have options and often times with touchscreen shutters, you have to be more precise

Essentially the same phone but I would go for the Optimus V

Bammerman likes this.
  5. Bammerman

Bammerman Lurker

I just noticed another difference from reading through posts about the Optimus V: the Thrive has no speaker on the back of the phone! As the Optimus V does. Another cost-saving measure, I presume (like the screen's lower color depth).

6. Bammerman

Bammerman Lurker

Now I'm finding even more stuff: the Optimus V has physical buttons on the side of the phone to activate the voice dialer and the camera (and for volume control). The Thrive only has the volume controls. And the Optimus V has an externally-accessible Micro SD slot -- with the Thrive you must remove the back of the phone to get at the SD card. Each of these little things is individually of small importance, but collectively they add up.

7. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Android Enthusiast

Well, the Thrive is $20 cheaper, so that might account for the lack of some features that the V has.

Looks like the Thrive is AT&T's *bottom* level pre-paid smart phone. If I were comparing, I would decide first between the carriers, and if I chose AT&T, then I would decide between their available phones, because some of them look like they have much better features than the Thrive.

But if you are just looking at the Thrive or the V, the V looks much better.

8. Skratte

Skratte Well-Known Member

Something alot of folks do not know, if you are on a wifi connection, you can browse and talk at the same time.

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews