• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Dims......

Do you mean the screen goes black after a while? You could change the Screen Timeout if you want to make it longer. While viewing a home screen go to Menu > Settings > Sounds & display > Screen Timeout and change it to a longer time. Note that this is for the entire phone, though, and that the screen is one of the biggest battery-drainers. If you really wanted the timeout to be longer just when in Maps, you could set up something in Tasker, but that is also a paid app.

Far as I know, the dialier only has portrait orientation. The stock launcher - TouchWiz - does only have portrait as well. However, if you use a third-party launcher like LauncherPro or ADW.Launcher, they have landscape versions. Both of these apps have free versions and do not require rooting, so you're welcome to try them. I would suggest using the app Home Switcher (also free) to easily switch between launcher types.

Upvote 0
When using Google Maps the phone dims out, how can I stop this? and one other question, can the dialer and apps menu go to the landscape orientation?

Thanks

TIA Ned

Not sure if you are referring to the entire screen goes black (turns off) or it goes less bright. If its related to the second part then there are two things you can play with

1) Power Saving mode
- Go to Settings>Sound & Display> Uncheck Power saving mode

2) Automatic Brightness adjustment
- Go to Settings>Sound & Display> Brightness> Uncheck Automatic brightness adjustment.

Play with those two options see which one gives you the desired results.

As for dialer in landscape, no it doesn't not that I'm aware of. I don't even think Launcher Pro does that either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones