• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Display Only Shows Number

Jul 17, 2020
This is driving me crazy. My Google contacts all have names attached to them. But when I make a call to some of them or receive a call from some, only their number shows up - not their names. Even ones that have been made favorites. I don't understand it.

I don't know if this matters, but it seems to happen with the few numbers that live on the SIM card that was moved from an old flip phone to this device. I can't find a way to get into the card's contacts and neither could Caterpillar.

Any thoughts? It seems that I will just have to live with it.

Do the numbers show up in your Contacts app?
If so, edit the contact to be on your Google contacts list.

If not, then go through your recent calls, and select each one, then select New Contact or Add to Contacts.

You will need to enter the name, and then save.
Be sure that each is considered a Google contact, so that this doesn't happen again.

Upvote 0
To be honest, the only time I ever saw the option was when I txied a different Contacts app.

Then everytime I saved a number, I was asked if I wanted it to be a Google contact or a device only contact.

So I am not precisely sure, but at that point I did realize that there was a difference and that the option exists.

Perhaps by installing another Contacts app, the option might appear to you as well?

It is small, FOSS, and simple. I still have it installed, even though I rarely use it.

It is one app out of a few in a series called Simple Mobile Tools.
I guess I keep it around because of some OCD thing about wanting everything in a set, lol.

Anyway, all the apps are simple, small, efficient, and utilitarian.
They can even coordinate their themes.
I have decked out all four of my devices with the set.

Simple Contacts (A premium app for contact management with no ads, supports groups and favorites) - https://f-droid.org/packages/com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro

https://www.simplemobiletools.com/

Upvote 0
Thanks. It shouldn't be this hard. I found the solution! I deleted my Google account from my phone and I will enter them manually. A lot more secure, too. I wasn't happy with having so much on my phone.

Are your contacts now going to be saved to Google so that when you change devices you don't have the same type problem all over again?

Upvote 0
Well, I deleted my Google account from my phone. Even when I hand-enter contacts it doesn't work. As I have a hidden number I was prefacing the contact numbers with a *31#. While that unblocked my number, when I called that contact their name wasn't displayed - just their number. I changed it to dialing a *82 first. It unblocks my number and I can now see their name when I make a call. But it does nothing for inbound calls.
This is not Google. It's either Caterpillar or T-Mobile. I am working with both. This is beyond ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Well, I deleted my Google account from my phone. Even when I hand-enter contacts it doesn't work. As I have a hidden number I was prefacing the contact numbers with a *31#. While that unblocked my number, when I called that contact their name wasn't displayed - just their number. I changed it to dialing a *82 first. It unblocks my number and I can now see their name when I make a call. But it does nothing for inbound calls.
This is not Google. It's either Caterpillar or T-Mobile. I am working with both. This is beyond ridiculous.

Did you even attempt to install another contacts app, to see if the option to make the numbers Google contacts will come up?

Upvote 0
In fact, there is a whole collection of those Simple Mobile Tools apps.

If you look on F-Droid, they are all there.

Just do a search for 'Simple' and add what you are looking for...
gallery, dialer, contacts, calculator, calender, etc.

Be sure to also get the Thank You app, as it is an excellent way to sycronize the theme settings for the entire set.

All of the apps together are smaller in size than many single purpose apps.

Upvote 0
In fact, there is a whole collection of those Simple Mobile Tools apps.

If you look on F-Droid, they are all there.

Just do a search for 'Simple' and add what you are looking for...
gallery, dialer, contacts, calculator, calender, etc.

Be sure to also get the Thank You app, as it is an excellent way to sycronize the theme settings for the entire set.

All of the apps together are smaller in size than many single purpose apps.
Thanks. One dumb question:
That worked! Thanks! I only saw the Simple Dialer and Simpletask on F-Droid, but it seems the Google Play has the others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones