1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone displays incorrect time

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by firegold21, Feb 19, 2011.

1. firegold21

firegold21 Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    My wife has the HTC Incredible and only recently (last night and this morning) has it started having this issue. When it was 11:30 pm, her phone said, both on the top bar and on the big display on the lock screen, that it was 7 am. She rebooted and it displayed the right time. Then this morning, she wakes up in darkness and her phone says it's 1 pm.

She, like me, uses her phone as an alarm clock, so needs it to be accurate and not messing up by that big a jump in the time.

Though it was kinda funny to hear all her alarms suddenly going off on the phone last night. ;)

I don't have access to the nitty gritty software version, etc. of her phone, though I do know it has Froyo and she's kept it up to date with the OTA updates Verizon sends out.

Is this a Verizon issue and the tower near us happened to crap out (if so, why didn't mine have the same issue?)? Is this a potential problem with her phone?

I've looked at the other threads the forum pulled up for me when writing this post and I don't see anything on this exact problem, and definitely nothing that's a good solution.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    That's weird, there is a setting to manually set the time instead of relying on the towers.

3. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Is her phone still reflecting your current location?

4. firegold21

firegold21 Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I don't know if her phone is still reflecting our current location, as she doesn't want to check right now. Just to clarify, however; you mean location as in GPS or in the time zone settings?

5. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Yes. You can have the phone follow a different location of your choice which will show the current weather there as well as the city's time. Just a thought...

6. ftpman7

ftpman7 Lurker
    None

May 26, 2010
    If you're using Advanced Task Killer (or some type of task killing app)-- Make sure that the clock is not being killed.

7. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Is "Automatic" checked or unchecked in Settings/Date and Time?

8. firegold21

firegold21 Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Automatic is checked in the settings and the GPS shows us as being where we actually are. The clock shows us as being in Eastern Time, which is correct. Right now, I see nothing wrong anywhere in the settings. If it happens again, I'll have my wife look to see if anything else has changed, but all's good for now.

As far as Automatic Task Killer, I don't think she has anything set to be autokilled, which means I also don't think she has anything set to be ignored by ATK.

9. SandraLee

SandraLee Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Mine did this one day. Thought I was going crazy. Thankfully, it hasn't happened again. Turning it off and back on seemed to reset the clock.

10. Fishdog

Fishdog Lurker
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    My phone keeps changing locations, all over the place. Usually turning it off and restarting works, I am in Maryland and the phone now seems to be stuck in Sacramento, CA. I cannot get the phone to recogize and display the correct location/time zone.

11. firegold21

firegold21 Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Well, here's an update. My wife stayed up an hour later than I did last night (till about midnight, I think) and had to "wrestle" with her phone. It evidently thought she was in Tripoli and was displaying the time for there, not here. So I guess the problem is not quite over and done with.

12. eipee73

eipee73 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    I.T.
    Pittsburgh
    I'm in the Pittsburgh area and I've had 2 scenarios happen to me:

-At work my phone thought I was in Chicago (so I was always up to date on their weather woohoo!)

-Driving home from work one day it thought I was somewhere in Europe as my phone time was 6 hours ahead of my true time zone.

In both cases I tried to reboot the phone with no luck. The first scenario seems to have cleared itself up, I believe they were installing a new tower in the area of my work which caused a few Incredibles in the office to have the same behavior. The issue with it thinking I was in Europe was a complete anomaly and rectified itself in about 6 hours. I hope for your sake this fixes itself, otherwise I'd place a call to VZW (even though they're typically useless).