• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone does not find new WiFi.

Get into setup on the router and try this:

On dual band routers give the 5GHz and 2.4 GHz bands different SSID names. When setting up the 5GHz band usually it's best to set the router to use a channel well over 100. Over 150 is best.

Set security encryption to WPA2/AES. Do not use WEP, WPA2/TKIP or WPA2/AES/TKIP.

When done setting up the router, if you can't connect unplug the power for 30 seconds, plug it in, give it plenty of time to reboot, like 3-4 minutes and try connecting again.

If still no go, on the phone go to: Settings > WiFi > Menu > Advanced > WiFi frequency band > select 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz instead of Automatic. The phone may be struggling with choosing one, so choose one for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WiFi / WAN has always been my achilles heel when it comes to interwebs.

Attachments

• wan.jpg
    wan.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
In the Configuration section, change the name to something unique just for identification. AvalonTLW, Get off my LAN, whatever you want. Click Apply.

In the Security section, Encryption algorithm, click on the drop-down and change it from TKIP to AES only, not TKIP/AES,as I explained in my post. Click Apply at the bottom.

It appears that this might be a single band 2.4 GHz only unit, unusual these days. I need a look at the Advanced setup tab to be sure or to go any farther into setup.

Just changing the encryption algorithm may be enough to get going. If you can't connect after changing that, reboot the router as I explained before and try connecting again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones