• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone doesn't recognize headphone jack is unplugged

Rizerax

Lurker
Jul 22, 2014
This is the second Touque that I've had with this same problem, which leads me to believe that this is a software issue of some sort, and not something physically wrong with the phone. I also have two friends with the same phone, but I am the only one with these problems (maybe I'm cursed or something)

What happens:
After plugging headphones or an aux line into the head phone jack (which it will play music/phone calls just fine plugged in), I unplug the jack and the phone does not seem to realize that I've unplugged the jack. (it will not play music or sound through the speakers, but I still get text notification sounds and hear the ringer when people call me) I can hear calls if I set phone call to speakerphone (otherwise there is no audio for me, nor does the other person hear me).

I really don't know how to go about fixing this. The phone is not rooted, and I don't think I have any weird apps on there. This is the second phone that I've had with this exact problem, and I've done several factory resets trying to fix the problem over the course of the two phones (the factor resets don't seem to work). Usually, if I restart the phone several times, combined with checking for updates, and turning the phone off and leaving the battery out for several minutes, THEN I can get sound back. There doesn't seem to be an actual pattern for this, I just have to keep messing with it until it starts working again. I have even taken canned air and blew it down the jack to make sure there was nothing in there.

When I do get sound working properly, it only works until I plug something into the headphone jack, and then I'm back where I started. :thinking:

Like I said, I don't even know where to start troubleshooting this, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones