• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone doesn't recognize pattern, won't unlock

I had Magisk installed, did the following procedure so that I can update to the latest OTA: magisk manager>uninstall>restore images> download and install OTA. Magisk didn't behave like it did before (uninstall button didnt change to install button), and then i restarted my phone.. It booted up normally. went to magisk manager, where it said it wasn't installed. downloaded the newest stable release of magisk, tried to reboot into recovery only to find the pattern screen for decrypting which doesnt recognize my pattern. I have then tried to boot normally, and then the phone didnt recognize the pattern at all, be it normal unlock or decrypt. What do I do? Bootloader unlocked, and I do not want to lose my data. Please give steps, I don't know much about this stuff :c

I've never used Magisk so can't really help with that, but for data saving can you get into recovery mode and enable ADB (should be possible with a custom recovery)? If so you may be able to copy stuff or do an adb backup that way (in case nobody has any alternative to a complete reset). Assuming that it doesn't decide it's locked there as well.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Unfortunately I agree. If you can't unlock it when booting into android and you can't get into recovery then there's no way of copying data over USB. If you don't already have some wireless access set up you can't set it up now. And the bootloader being unlocked won't help: that will let you erase things or flash a new recovery, but it doesn't provide a way of backing up.

Maybe if there are firmware images that can be flashed to replace the ROM and kernel without wiping you'll be able to get in (I don't know OnePlus firmware flashing or what tools the community have made for these phones - I think @ironass knows about OnePlus, so maybe he'll be able to suggest something?). But to be honest if it's locked you out of recovery I don't think there's much chance that way: recovery is independent of the android system, so don't think that replacing the android software will help.

Upvote 0
Cheers @Hadron ;)

Since the OP has nothing more to lose... my suggestion is, if the phone already has OEM unlocking enabled and USB debugging also enabled, is to download and install mauronofrio's All-in-one-Tool for flashing via adb. Install the tool on your PC as per the instructions in the link. Once installed on your PC, use the tool to install the necessary drivers. Then select your model of phone... OnePlus 6. Then select the, "Recovery Flasher and Root", button and then select your custom recovery, "TWRP 3.3.1 PIE OP6", and tick, "Root after Flash". Make sure that there is a good charge on your phone and from power off, press and hold Volume UP+Power key. This will boot you into fastboot. Connect your phone to the PC with your OnePlus USB cable that came with the phone and then select the, "Flash", button on the All-in-One-Tool. This version of TWRP, "may", offer to decrypt or even ignore the encryption or failing that, allow you to enter the custom recovery mode to allow the copying of the info to the computer. This is all theory and you do this at your own risk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones