1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Phone doesn't work as a USB media device?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by km2002, Nov 7, 2014.

1. km2002

km2002 Well-Known Member

I have my GL hooked up to my computer. I can read the contents of the SD card; but apparently, I'm prevented from doing anything with them. This started with ringtones that worked just fine on my Droid Razr Maxx not working at all on the GL; but not all of them. After getting silence from the phone on trying to assign certain ringtones, I went into My Files to try to play the suspects directly. All I get told is that the player can't play files of this type. Well, it's the same MP3 that played perfectly on the Razr. And now, after altering the ringtone on my computer, I can't copy it to the phone. This makes absolutely no sense at all. I hope this doesn't mean I have to shut off the phone, remove the SD card, copy the file using a card reader, put the card back in the phone, turn it back on, and hope it now works. Anyone run into this? Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ohbaby

ohbaby Well-Known Member

You could try renaming the file your downloading to the phone. From say,.. mp3 to txt or whatever. Then when downloaded onto the phone rename it back. Or maybe to a file extension that will play the ringtone. But I would be surprised if it doesn't play mp3's.

3. km2002

km2002 Well-Known Member

Well, that's the problem. A handful of MP3s that played with absolutely no trouble on my Droid Razr are not playing at all on the GL. And as if the GL's error messages were written by refugees from MicroSoft, there's no indication of why certain files can't be played. So I can't tell why the GL doesn't want to play these files, especially since I took great pains when I first put the files on the Razr to make all the files — music, ringtones, notifications, alarms — conform to a particular set of parameters. All the files played with no trouble on the Razr; some of those same files refuse to play on the GL. Makes absolutely no sense at all.

4. ohbaby

ohbaby Well-Known Member

That seems weird. Plays some mp3's but not others? Check the codecs of the files that can't be played with some media info app. Maybe those files are renamed and are actually not mp3's. That's all I can think of.

Samsung Galaxy Light Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Light release date was October 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, processor, and 1800mAh battery.

October 2013
Release Date
Reviews