• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone dropped in bathwater

Moto2021

Lurker
Nov 13, 2021
As title says, phone dropped in bath water. Thought it was ok after a few mins. Screen started flashing then died. Tried to turn on but nothing! Heard a noice from the phone though either the battery or other. Hissing sound.

Took phone apart into separate pieces, put in a bag of rice and left for 2 weeks. Looking at the phone now I don't know if this was already part of it or it's somehow formed like a jelly or silicone around some pieces on one of the boards. I don't know wether to try and remove this or just put together and try to turn it on.

I dont mind buying a new battery for it or other parts if needed. I have important work stuff on the phone and need it in good working order again.

Is there a point when a phone is unrepairable if it was only in the water for such short time.

The best procedure for electronics exposed to water is to immediately turn them off and to start a drying procedure. Water is a great conductor and can easily create short circuits. These shorts often cause irreversible damage to components. I hope this is not the case. I wish you the very best of luck with your phone.

This is what crossed my mind! Do you know anything about the silicone, jelly like substance inside the phones on the board. I don't know wether to clean it off or not before I try to turn it on or buy new battery for it.

Upvote 0
IMG_20211113_181056815.jpg
IMG_20211113_181027426.jpg

Upvote 0
This is what crossed my mind! Do you know anything about the silicone, jelly like substance inside the phones on the board. I don't know wether to clean it off or not before I try to turn it on or buy new battery for it.
Honestly, I can not say. I would guess it is original to the phone and not caused by being submerged... that is only a guess.

Upvote 0
Yes, found it online. It's part of the phone. I put the phone together, tried to turn it on and it vibrated and nothing on the screen. Does this sound familiar?
Liquid damage can take many forms, so "familiar" isn't really the test. That certainly sounds like some connections are bad, but whether that's an assembly issue or corrosion I wouldn't try to guess without seeing the device.

Upvote 0
Liquid damage can take many forms, so "familiar" isn't really the test. That certainly sounds like some connections are bad, but whether that's an assembly issue or corrosion I wouldn't try to guess without seeing the device.

I will try to get better pics. I'm going to buy the same phone and try and switch the main board over to see if this works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones