1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone fell in water, only switches on when charging.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rose Duncan, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Rose Duncan

Rose Duncan Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2016
    Hello, my new S6 edge recently fell into water, and I put it in rice overnight to try to make it work again (it wouldn't switch on immediately after the water incident). This morning, I tried again, to no avail, but when I put in the charger, it went to 100% immediately and I could switch it on. Then, I took it out and the phone switched off.
    I was already planning on returning the phone because it's less than a month old and already acting up (lags, etc.), but this is pretty frustrating, since I don't know if they'll take it back now.
    Anyone had a similar problem and knows how to fix it ?

Advertisement

2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Unfortunately Samsung has built-in a sensor within the phone that identifies water leakage issues. This allows them to squeeze around warranty issues. However, there is a chance, remote, that that might not have been triggered.

You had the right idea with the rice. If you can pick up fairly commonly available dehydrating packs, they work better. If not try using the rice for longer periods and carefully warming up the phone with a hairdryer at regular intervals, before packing in rice.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge was released in 2015, and offered a curved display versus the standard flat panel found in the standard Galaxy S6. The device features a 5.1-inch display, 3GB of RAM, up to 128GB of storage, and a 16MP rear-facing camera.